Going to Belgium soon...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Need anything? Your nuts in a goddamned vice, jeepster. I hate you! BAH! I'm so jealous!!! ;) Seriously, dude, that's friggin awesome. Go find Fantome while you're there. Some day, we'll make it to Belgium. France is scheduled for the spring, though...so no time soon. :(

Have a great time...toss back a few Duponts for us HBT chumps.

There's a little bit more to the story than that.

Brenda and I will be following the meandering-drunken footsteps of many beer pilgrams before us- starting with Jeff Lebesch. His Belgium tale inspired him to found the New Belgium Brewery in Fort Collins, CO. We learned about his experiences when we toured the brewery in June during the AHA Conf.

We will be assisted by an HBT heirloom given to us by our own Brewtopia (and hand couriered by Mrs Brewtopia) who made a similar voyage of discovery some years back. This sacred relic is a hand written travel guide created extemporaneously by regional beer writer, Don Scheidt.

Don Scheidt is an associate editor of the Celebrator Beer News (www.celebrator.com) and author of the Northwest BrewPage (nwbrewpage.com). He also writes about beer for the Seattle Weekly (www.seattleweekly.com)

I'll leave it to Brewtopia to fill in the details of that story and I'm hoping he'll chime in.

I intend to add to the legacy of this gift by blogging, mapping and adding photos to create an electronic guidebook. The original document will then bestowed upon the next HBT member for their personal quest.

olllllo said:
...I intend to add to the legacy of this gift by blogging, mapping and adding photos to create an electronic guidebook. The original document will then bestowed upon the next HBT member for their personal quest.
I was hoping you'd do that! Man, I'm jealous! That is on my list of the four places on Earth I want to visit before I die. There, Ireland, the UK and Germany.

Have a great time - like I have to tell you to do that - you're gonna be in Belgium! Looking forward to the updates!:mug:

I need to kick your ass, is what I need...

Sounds like it'll be an awesome trip! My HBS owner spend some time in Belgium with his family this spring, had something like forty different beers. Sounded like it was a helluva trip...

piss.GIF

On you and your fancy belgium trip ......and.....and.... your fancy beers....and your ....pilgramage.....to the origins of beer....and....and........

Could you get me one of these, Pleeeeeaaase:D !
chouffe111.jpg

Cheers and have fun!

Originally posted by olllllo
We will be assisted by an HBT heirloom given to us by our own Brewtopia (and hand couriered by Mrs Brewtopia) who made a similar voyage of discovery some years back. This sacred relic is a hand written travel guide created extemporaneously by regional beer writer, Don Scheidt.

Don Scheidt is an associate editor of the Celebrator Beer News (www.celebrator.com) and author of the Northwest BrewPage (nwbrewpage.com). He also writes about beer for the Seattle Weekly (www.seattleweekly.com)

I'll leave it to Brewtopia to fill in the details of that story and I'm hoping he'll chime in.

I've known Don Scheidt for a number of years and he has travelled extensively throughout Europe in search of great beer.

A couple of years ago, SWMBO and I started planning a trip to Belgium with the owners of my local, Collins Pub. On one particular night, Collins was hosting a beer dinner and Don Scheidt was one of the guests in attendance. Knowing that he had travelled to Belgium a number of times, we asked if he could provide us with a list of some must see places for good beer. On the back of one of the beer flyers, Don proceeded to list bars and breweries in 4 different cities. Brussels, Antwerp, Brugge and Ghent.

When we arrived in Brussels, I wanted to first go to a bar that SWMBO and I discovered on our first trip to Belgium in '96, Le Bier Circus (Which also happened to be on "The Scheidt List"). When we got there, we were going over the list when the owner of Le Bier Circus, Patrick came over to our table. He asked what we looking at and we explained that our friend Don Scheidt had made us a list of places to go in Belgium for great beer. He glanced over the list and responded, "These are the best bars in all of Belgium". He was very impressed.

We managed to hit every location on the Scheidt List and a few of our own discoveries. We were not dissapointed in the least, it was an amazing trip. I promised olllllo at NHC in Denver, that I would send him the list. The only stipulation, that he must pass the list on to a fellow HBT member when he is through with it.

I know you and Mrs. olllllo will have an amazing trip and I wish you the best. I only wish I was going back with you guys. :mug:

I'm planning a trip to Belgium next year. Brasserie Vapeur brews the last Saturday of every month (only 12 brews a year). I've heard you can volunteer to help. What better vacation than shovelling grain!!

Doesn' t matter, if it turned out he couldn' t make beer I am sure he could mow grass and wash dishes.( I think I just bought my ticket downstairs):cross:

Ryanh1801 said:
Westvleteren 12, sneak lots of it back.

In all seriousness, if you're going to have the opportunity to bring some of this back, I'll buy some off of you.

We went to Cafe Dylerium last night. 2004 beers available.
I'm having difficuly posting pictures. I'm using a dell axim handheld and the wifi is spotty.

Cantillion is the most sour beer, I have ever had.

It rooolz.

Glibbidy said:
Did you get over to Cantillion Brewery yet? Those Spontaneous fermentation vessels are brilliant!
No. We're going to try to hit it on the way back. We're in Bruge yesterday and today. We and toured the Halve Maan Brewery. They had lots of "old" equipment. I had to laugh because any one of us would love to call it our new brewery stuff.

We're off to Antwerp to set up camp. Then we'll daytrip to Ghent & possibly back to Brussels if time permits. gmail & flickr are conspiring against uploading photos using mobile edition. I don't have a pop account on this thing, yet either.

1st I saw of this thread. Awesome!!!, have fun and don't fret with the technology; post pics when you get back.

We're in the 2007 rateabeer.com top beer bar in the world, Kulminator!!!!

I'm drinking Bush! (Look it up)

They have every Chimay Blauwe from 1981 on. €14 -€3,20.

Glibbidy said:
Don't forget to check out the Bier Tempel in Brussels for some bottles and glassware to bring home.
Ugh! I wish. It won't be very pack friendly.

Just finished lunch @ Het Elfde Gebod where they have hundreds of religious statuary thoughout. Its right across from a Cathedral.

Now, we're sipping lambics at an outdoor hall called de groote witte arend.

Glibbidy said:
The selection there is first rate if you have the means!
Them small bottles can get rolled up really easily in your dirty shorts;)
A green fairy told me to bring back absinthe in my dirty shorts.

Make sure you call the Saint Sixtus brewery ahead of time to schedule a Westvleteren pickup! Phone #'s on this page -> http://www.sintsixtus.be/eng/brouwerij.html. Also, sneak into the brewery late when all of the Monks are drunk or sleeping and steel the secret recipe!

Then I'll take a 6-pack of Weste 12's when you get back. :)

Sounds like you're having a great time. The name of the bar in Ghent that I was telling you about is Dulle Griet. If you want the house beer in the yard glass, you have to give them one of your shoes as a deposit.

Dulle Griet web.jpeg

Enjoy, and we'll look forward to pictures when you return.

Back