Switchcraft's plug and outlet option

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have had no issues either besides the fact that they dont "lock" as already mentioned... I have read many times that the Neutrik PowerCon connectors are made better and they look like they would lock better.
If I ever replace mine I am likely going with military/aviation connectors. I use some of these on a panel I'm building and they are heavy duty, compact and have a screw on retainer ring.

I have been using the Switchcraft connectors between my control panel and my mash/boil (I do BIAB) kettle since sometime in 2013 and I have had one failure where I let the element get dry and so got really hot and melted the female part of the connector so that I couldn't remove the cable. I really don't call that a failure on the part of the connector so much as a failure on the part of the operator for failing to put any rice hull in the mash and grinding the grain to about the size of grits.

My connectors have never failed to lock into place and I am careful to never plug or unplug them when the control panel is powered on.

How do we know that the Neutrik PowerCon connectors are more robust?

Looking at the assembly instructions for the PowerCon plug and receptacle, it has screws instead of tabs for female spade terminals. That alone gives me more confidence in the connectors. I'm not a big fan of depending on spade terminals inside cables that move around.

I have been using the Switchcraft connectors between my control panel and my mash/boil (I do BIAB) kettle since sometime in 2013 and I have had one failure where I let the element get dry and so got really hot and melted the female part of the connector so that I couldn't remove the cable. I really don't call that a failure on the part of the connector so much as a failure on the part of the operator for failing to put any rice hull in the mash and grinding the grain to about the size of grits.

My connectors have never failed to lock into place and I am careful to never plug or unplug them when the control panel is powered on.

one look at a side by side comparison seems to show this, plus the fact that the switchcraft ones are cheaper copies of the Neutrik connectors from what I have read...
also theres another thread floating around where someone with a lot of experience with both of them from use in the music industry has stated the switchcraft connectors do not have the consistent fit and finish as the other...
I noticed now there are other neutrik clones from china on ebay...

I now unplug my elements at the kettle where I use short pigtails with nema connectors I had laying around so my switchcraft connectors usually stay plugged in without any issues. they support the weight of the hanging cord fine but mine certainly do not "lock" and I have 2 of them which I ordered from mouser..

Maybe its because my panel isn't on the wall and not much dead weight is pulling down, but my connectors snap into place. I haven't tried pulling on them.

Certainly the nicer Neutrik connectors with metal tabs would be better than plastic.

I also looked at the Neutrik knock-offs on eBay. But I was concerned because none that I found gave you any indication of the electrical parameters besides how many poles.

Don't forget about NEMA twistlock connectors. My elements are removable with a 2" TC housing, then about a 12" long pigtail with a NEMA male connector. I use an extension cord with NEMA female and male ends to hook up the element to the panel which also has a female twistlock receptacle.

They may be a little bulkier than the PowerCON's, but I'm confident that they are secure and made to carry the current. If you shop around on eBay you can pick up each connector for $5-10.

I got a buddy who's a roadie (well guitar tech) and I asked him about switchcraft vs Neutriks, and he recommended Neutriks. They feel pretty solid to me, but never used the switchcraft.

There are quite a few knock offs out there, but you do still get what you pay for, mostly

Latest posts

Back