Bottling pale ale no carbination

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdahl1289

Reaction score
So I bottled my American pale ale 2 1/2 weeks ago. Tried my first one after 24 hours in the fridge. It tasted flat, no carbonation. I stored on top of my beer fridge. Temps average around 65-70 degrees. What am doing wrong? Have done 6 other brews this same way. No issues with all them. Any help you be awesome.
Thanks __/)__

Did you add priming sugar when you bottled? We are going to need more details before we can help diagnose.

I would wait at least another week.

2.5 weeks ago is not three weeks.

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

And just because a beer is carbed doesn't mean it still doesn't taste like a$$ and need more time for the off flavors to condition out.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience." ;)

I have found that a few of mine were carbonated at 2 weeks most at 3 and a couple took 4 or longer.

All of them were better after 3 weeks in both carbonation level and taste.

Just for s#*ts and giggles I always try ONE at 2 weeks.

^^^What Revvy Said^^^

Read that thread!!! It helped me soooo much. I've never had any problems bottling. 3 weeks AT LEAST!

That is a great article. I almost posted a new thread about my Porter I tasted yesterday after 3 weeks. (2 weeks at 70 and one week at 65). It was flat but actually tasted good. I didn't know if I should shake them up or change the temp, but then reading this thread the key word once again is PATIENCE. And when Revvy said Stouts and Porters may take longer I am now at peace again.

So if I have a Dunkel weizen "Deep Dark Wheat" I should maybe wait four weeks, then try one at a time so not to ruin them. Cause once you put them in the fridge the yeast is done. It falls and sticks to bottom of the bottle. It will not taste right if you warm it up to room temp again.

Back