New Zealand Brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewersfriend.com is the calculator I use, and find it pretty bloody handy alround.

My biab first attempt came out at 65% with a batch sparge but not squeezing the bag, which should raise the efficiency to 70 or so. It was also milled fairly roughly.
Im also moving to a smash brew using pale ale and cascade, getting my grain from the brew house as they have a special, and gave requested the grain be double milled.

Off to see the ab's this weekend though so the beer will have to wait a week. :(

Enjoy the game buddy! Should be a good one, although a bit wet by the sounds.

65% is a good starting point for BIAB, I hit 68% as I normally do a mashout step with mine. (I BIAB, for Speed and minimising equipment) Plenty of stirring for even temperature really helps.
I use Beersmith, and while it take a little time to adjust the settings to suit your system, I've got it down pat now.
68% Religiously on average 1.045-1.065 beers, then it take a total hits and moves toward 60% very rapidly.....
The milling does play a good part, baylands in welly are good along with craft brewing.co.nz
Brewshop.co.nz i found the crush to be a bit poor TBH, but I haven't used them for awhile.

Enjoy the game buddy! Should be a good one, although a bit wet by the sounds.

65% is a good starting point for BIAB, I hit 68% as I normally do a mashout step with mine. (I BIAB, for Speed and minimising equipment) Plenty of stirring for even temperature really helps.
I use Beersmith, and while it take a little time to adjust the settings to suit your system, I've got it down pat now.
68% Religiously on average 1.045-1.065 beers, then it take a total hits and moves toward 60% very rapidly.....
The milling does play a good part, baylands in welly are good along with craft brewing.co.nz
Brewshop.co.nz i found the crush to be a bit poor TBH, but I haven't used them for awhile.

I just couldn't resist paying $2.25/kg at the brew house, although with the shipping it didn't work out all that much cheaper than Hauraki who I usually use. Would much prefer to use a local supplier but we dont have a dedicated HB store in Taranaki that I know of.

Yeh its my first time in napier, everyone has been saying how sunny it always is there.....

I just couldn't resist paying $2.25/kg at the brew house, although with the shipping it didn't work out all that much cheaper than Hauraki who I usually use. Would much prefer to use a local supplier but we dont have a dedicated HB store in Taranaki that I know of.

Yeh its my first time in napier, everyone has been saying how sunny it always is there.....

Nah probably wouldn't. lol.
Go the AB's Good to see Beauden get his first start too!

4 brew weekend for me this weekend, got the first one done, The Good Ship Imperial, an IIPA with Centennial, Columbus and Waimea. Second mash is on which is another IIPA with only Waimea, called Waimea Pure and is the third time I've brewed it but each time has been different.
Then tomorrow I'm going to brew Cascading Lime, my Belgian Wheat beer with NZ Cascade and lime, again. And finally the full Manuka smoked malt brew. Busy busy ☺

4 brew weekend for me this weekend, got the first one done, The Good Ship Imperial, an IIPA with Centennial, Columbus and Waimea. Second mash is on which is another IIPA with only Waimea, called Waimea Pure and is the third time I've brewed it but each time has been different.
Then tomorrow I'm going to brew Cascading Lime, my Belgian Wheat beer with NZ Cascade and lime, again. And finally the full Manuka smoked malt brew. Busy busy ☺

That's an impressive weekend brewing !! Stocking up for Christmas ?? !! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

That's an impressive weekend brewing !! Stocking up for Christmas ?? !! :)

No, national homebrew comp. this weekend is the last chance for me to get some brews ready.
Both today's brews went to plan although for some reason my efficiency on the second fell a little.
I will probably do a small cider trial tomorrow too, just some good apple juice and yeast, not for the comp.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

No, national homebrew comp. this weekend is the last chance for me to get some brews ready.
Both today's brews went to plan although for some reason my efficiency on the second fell a little.
I will probably do a small cider trial tomorrow too, just some good apple juice and yeast, not for the comp.

Awesome man !! Good luck with the comp !!

Cheer Donmega .
Is anyone else entering?

I will be as usual.
Robust porter went in yesterday.
English brown ale.
100% Brett saison.
And a session pale ale using last years blonde recipe and hopping it up with el dorado hops 100%.
And of course if my SJPORR Beer doesn't go any further. I'll have a couple of bottles of that I can send.

I'm thinking of entering my pale ale but have to wait n see what it adtes like, was my first ag and tasted a bit rough going into the bottle though so will see how it turns out. It would be my first comp so its nervous times.

In other news inchecked out the filter room just out of napier in the weekend. Well worth checking out if you find yourself in the area, some damn good cider n beers

Hi All, further to my recent posts in regards to my first BIAB ipa disaster !! So last night I transferred it to a secondary as it had been in cold crash for a couple of days and I wanted to clear the beer up more before bottling and also get if off the trub. Probably bottle this weekend. So now for my questions..

I have ended up with 17 litres at a gravity reading of 1028, it has done fermenting so has the cold temp effected the reading I did last-night ?

When I mashed this brew I did so far to hot and also didn't allow for enough water in my boil hence 17 litres of beer (trub was a few litres)

Could this be effecting the reading ?

It didn't taste as sweet as I expected after feedback said it would be sweet but I had already had a couple of beers by then !!

I will persist with this batch lol

The cold temp would only effect the reading by a point or two, so it is still high.
What was your grain bill? We can have a look at estimating your OG

The cold temp would only effect the reading by a point or two, so it is still high.
What was your grain bill? We can have a look at estimating your OG

5.0kg pale malt, 0.56kg biscuit malt, 0.56kg Munich malt is what the recipes instructions said... Est OG 1060 and Fg 1016

Looks pretty standard.

Im guessing the temperature of the mash was too high and has released dextrins which are an unfermentable sugar.

Although it could also be bad/insufficient yeast or lack of aeration affecting the fermentation.

Thats as much help as I can be unfortunately, being a noob myself.

Looks pretty standard.

Im guessing the temperature of the mash was too high and has released dextrins which are an unfermentable sugar.

Although it could also be bad/insufficient yeast or lack of aeration affecting the fermentation.

Thats as much help as I can be unfortunately, being a noob myself.

77 mash temp is very high!
I had an issue once, where I masheda porter at 70, and ended up at 1.028.
SO I think your doing prettywell.

I was talking about the recipe when I said it looked pretty standard, didn't see those other 2 posts regarding mash temp and yeast

77 mash temp is very high!

I had an issue once, where I masheda porter at 70, and ended up at 1.028.

SO I think your doing prettywell.

So just suck it up as a low abv beer.. Maybe 4%.... New weld less thermometer being installed tonight :)

Just put it down to a learning exercise. If you get something drinkable out of it, thats a bonus. :tank:

Oh I will drink it !! ;) out of principal if anything !! Have got a smash brew to do so am looking forward to take 2 !!

is anyone on here kegging?

I did a search of the thread but it came back blank which I was surprised by.

I don't but nzlunchie does, manawabrew is his YouTube / f book which has some videos etc

Basically looking at utilising all of your knowledge. Firstly are kegs worth it?

Yep, Every Penny. Setup is costly, but the time you save is well worth it. I've had plenty of issue with leak etc. so make sure when you buy gear to leak test this stuff.
Kegs, manifolds taps and lines when connected, well worth it.

I have proper taps as well, Make sure you get plenty of line to for gas/beer etc.

Equipment wise i know i need co2 bottle, regulator, gas and beer line, connectors, taps and a fridge, is there anything i have missed?

How much are the bottles to refill and roughly how many kegs do they last? (For the size you have)

Yep, Every Penny. Setup is costly, but the time you save is well worth it. I've had plenty of issue with leak etc. so make sure when you buy gear to leak test this stuff.
Kegs, manifolds taps and lines when connected, well worth it.

I have proper taps as well, Make sure you get plenty of line to for gas/beer etc.

Yep, that. Totally worth the investment.

I don't have a gas bottle so use Soda Stream canisters. 1 will generally last 1 keg. I also use a picnic tap, yet to have a fridge or freezer to put the taps on.

I'd even say, save buying cheap **** and actually invest in the setup, in the long run it'll be worth it!

Brewshop looks like a goer, $230 minus the co2 tank.

Regarding brewing, do you condition beer in the keg or in secondary? Or just drink it green but have tricks to overcome this during brewing?

Also stil, keen to know about the gas prices

Brewshop looks like a goer, $230 minus the co2 tank.

Regarding brewing, do you condition beer in the keg or in secondary? Or just drink it green but have tricks to overcome this during brewing?

Also stil, keen to know about the gas prices

I'm in the chur, and we have C-Test who sell re-conditioned co2 extinguishers for just under $200. Not sure what you have up your way.

I don't generally Secondary, unless I'm adding something special bourbon, oak etc. 2 weeks fermentation time, racked to keg, and stuck under gas. I generally stick it under standard gas psi, and let it condition for 10 days before taking a drink. If you want to force carb and drink straight away you can.

The Brewshop one is good, i think that might be what lunchie got.
If you get taps in the door etc. be sure to balance your lines, which takes a bit of fine tuning.

I had a sneaking suspicion of your location when I saw your name.

Just had a look at balancing lines https://byo.com/stories/item/164-balancing-your-draft-system-advanced-brewing and gave myself a headache.... Looks like one of those things that I would have to sort out once I had a system running and had some actual numbers.

$200 seems to be about standard for co2 bottles, i saw this one on trade me as well http://www.trademe.co.nz/home-livin...ion-778854299.htm which seems to fit the bill

Im starting to get a bit excited about this, i like the quick turn around idea, i hate having to wait to test improvements at the moment

Hey guys, thought id join this board given I'm also a kiwi.

Ive got some fairly n00b questions but hopefully you can point me in the right direction...
I'm currently doing BIAB, and i have a 30L pot. I have yet to hit my desired OG first time. I usually end up topping up the wort with water using a calculation to reach my desired gravity... Works sweet as, but i want to know how i can do this a bit more accurately. any tips? i.e. is there a set amount i should aim to boil, then how much to sparge with, and any additional water for a 60min boil?

Hey guys, thought id join this board given I'm also a kiwi.

Ive got some fairly n00b questions but hopefully you can point me in the right direction...
I'm currently doing BIAB, and i have a 30L pot. I have yet to hit my desired OG first time. I usually end up topping up the wort with water using a calculation to reach my desired gravity... Works sweet as, but i want to know how i can do this a bit more accurately. any tips? i.e. is there a set amount i should aim to boil, then how much to sparge with, and any additional water for a 60min boil?

Welcome!

I'm a fairly new BIAB kid as well.

You want to get to know your gear basicly. Are you using any software?

And it comes down to what you want. Do you want consistent repeatable results? Do you want to be able to drink your beer, critique it and change the recipe and process? If so then you are going to want to know specifics! If you just wanna brew something half decent that will get you drunk? Neither is "right" although plenty will argue against it hahaha.

If you keep a consistent boil between brew days, you will soon figure out what your boil off is. So basicly your desired amount into the fermenter plus trub loss plus boil off is your pre boil volume.

I don't sparge, I do squeeze the bag though. The cool thing about BIAB for me is not having to have a HLT etc. So your original volume is your pre boil volume plus whatever you loose to grain ( in litres per kg of grain)

Also keep in mind that your extract percent is likely going to be different to whatever the recipe is stated in. So you want to track that and work out what your percent is so you can ulter recipes to suit

Back