Fruit Beer Snowy Papaya White

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Manthony

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast Belgian Witber #3944
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
1.053 EST
Final Gravity
1.015 EST
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
4.3 SRM (EST
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
9 days @ 69°F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
12 days @ 69°F
Tasting Notes
Coming soon....
Hi guys, new to the forums here. I actually just did my first all grain brew today and with the help of beersmith (love this software) I can present to you my first recipe! I dont have any tasting notes or descriptions yet as it just went into the primary today but im anticipating the citrusy, tart flavor of the papaya to add some good notes to the beer. I am open to any suggestions and help anyone would be willing to provide and look forward to working with everyone

Recipe: Snowy Papaya White
Brewer: Matt
Asst Brewer: Anthony
Style: Belgian Witbier
TYPE: All Grain

Grain Bill:
5 lbs Belgian Pils 1.6°L
4 lbs Rahr White Wheat 3.0°L
8oz Flaked Wheat

Hops:
1 oz Czech Saaz 3.9% (Boil 60 min)
1 oz Czech Saaz 3.9% (Boil 15 min)

Yeast:
1 pkg Wyeast Beglian Witbier (Wyeast #3944)

Misc Ingredients:
(1) whole papaya (secondary-12 days)
.5oz sweet paprika (boil - 5min)

Mash Schedule:
Single Infustion Mash - 60 min @ 153.2°F
Total Grain Weight: 9.50 lb
Strike Water: 2.75 gal @167.6°F
Grain Temperature: 71.0°F
Sparge Water: 4.5 gal
Sparge Temperature: 171.2°F
Tun Temperature: 72.0 F

Ill add tasting notes and what not here in a few weeks...

Into the secondary it goes. Great color and taste so far. The sweet paprika isn't near as overpowering as I thought it might have been. The fresh papaya in there should do wonders for it.

IMG_0412[1].jpg

The aroma is phenomenal, smells like fresh papaya . Not quite the flavor on it that I was hoping for. I guess papaya just isn't a fruit that comes through as much. Probably going to double up the amount of papaya next time. And the paprika added pleasant and subtle note to the finish. Be sure if you are going to use it to use the sweet paprika as the smoked paprika might not be as pleasant and subtle.

Were you ever able to try again with double papaya? Any better on the flavor? I also wonder if perhaps Citra hops would help to enhance the tropical/papaya notes.

Back