Conical fermentation/yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lind13

Reaction score
Hey guys, just brewed a milk stout last night to toss into my new 7.4gal conical. I decided to use a harvested strain of WL Dry english for it, made a starter on friday and intermittently stirred it around. Hit 75% efficiency last night and pitched my yeast starter at 8pm. Im wondering how i can go about making sure that my yeast starter takes off and that fermentation begins? Simply because i cant see through it. This is only the second time ive used harvested yeast that is about a month old. No signs in airlock currently, if i dont see any co2 offput through the airlock at about the 24 hour mark would it be safe to pop open the conical? I have a spare smack pack that i can toss in if my yeast doesnt work. Thanks in advance for the advice!

Leave it be, if you made a starter then you know your yeast is viable, so there is no need to worry about it, just practice your patience.... if you can? Take it as a test of will.

Clem

Im just not sure if the yeast was viable, because it was a 24 hour starter so i didnt see any krausen or anything. Just weird not being able to see the fermentation because its steel!

Clem is your name based off of the california clemintine brew day from northern brewer with chip? lol

No, but i love those guys, Brewing TV rocks, accept their latest one did not like the presenter or the subject. I tried to get just Clem (being my name and all) but some other sucker had it... So I thought I would name my brewery Clementines and put a picture of a farm girl with big.... eyes on the label.

Was it a stir plate starter, it is not unusual for starters to take longer than 24 hrs. I'm just doing my first brew since moving to PA and hence I have none of my own yeast and I had to use a vial of WLP001. The yeast was really fresh but it has been such a long time since I used shop bought yeast it just seams to be crawling along. I pitched the vial last night and now 18hrs later it is only just starting to get active (the yeast was less than 30days old). Anyway my point is it is not unusual for yeast to take some time to get active so the yeast might be OK however I like to wait for my starters to take off before using them, remember the point of starters is to confirm viability to avoid wasting time on a brew, increase yeast health and increase numbers.

Clem

No stir plate, i just am not used to seeing no airlock activity after 12 hours. Its weird, with starters of course.

Latest posts

Back