To Cold Crash or not to Cold Crash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewenc

Reaction score
So I'm going to be kegging for the first time in the next few days. I am asking for YHO on cold crashing. Who does it? Who doesn't? And the Pro's and Con's of it. Thanks in advance. Prost:mug:

My opinion on cold crashing is that if you have the room and a couple days time to do it, then by all means do it! It is only going to make your beer clearer and some would argue better.

i cold crashed for the first time on my last batch which was a dogfish head 60 min clone. after the fermenter had been in the fridge over night i checked it the next morning. to my surprise you could see that the top half was really clear and the bottom half was cloudy. i left it in there for a little over 48hrs before i racked to the keg. the beer has been pouring crystal clear and is hands down the clearest beer i have ever produced. i will be doing this on pretty much all of my beers from now on

My opinion on cold crashing is that if you have the room and a couple days time to do it, then by all means do it! It is only going to make your beer clearer and some would argue better.

+1. I don't know about tasting better but my beer is MUCH clearer after cold crashing.

If you keg I see no cons as long as you have the room and time for it. Knocks out the yeast a lot faster and leaves you with an almost clean keg to deal with when finished with your beer. As close to freezing (without freezing of course) as you can get it works best.

Well aftere posting this yesterday I wasa talking to a brew buddy and decided to try it. So as we speak the beer is in the fridge. Thanks for the good words. I'll let yall know how it turns out.

I almost always cold crash. It's easy for me, I just turn down the thermostat on my fermentation chiller. I've got 8 gallons of Mexican Amber Lager crashing right now.

You get clearer beer just by chilling it down before kegging. Simple.

:rockin:

Back