EC 1118 Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barliman

Reaction score
I'm making a one gallon test batch of cider. Here is my recipe:

1 Gallon apple juice (normal grocery store stuff)
1 packet of EC 1118 yeast
1/2 cup brown sugar dissolved in one cup water

It started bubbling away in about an hour, and then went on bubbling for about 2 -3 days and then the air lock was sort of half way up and half way down but not bubbling. There are still little bubbles floating up, but I watched for about 5 minutes and the airlock did not bubble, it just sort of stayed in the half up position. Is there something wrong with my airlock? It seems there is positive pressure to keep the thing inside the airlock in the half up position, but I am just worried that something could be wrong either with the airlock, or with the activity of the yeast...

I'm just a noob, so I am probably worrying over nothing.

Thanks Guys!

What temp are you fermenting at?

Any preservatives, such as sorbate, in the cider?

Could there be a leak around the stopper? The CO2 will not go through the airlock if it has an easier way to get out of the container.

One suggestion. I'd dissolve the sugar in the cider rather than water next time. The water only dilutes the apple flavors and lowers the gravity.

Half up indicates still some pressure in the fermenter. Three of my carboys' airlocks are sitting like that right now and I know for fact that they've finished fermenting; one batch still has a very slow volume of gas being released, similar to what you describe but I'd say a bit less than yours. EC-1118 ferments fast even in high gravity musts, so I'd guess with the addition of the water along with the other ingredients listed, it may well be done. But, the only way to know for sure is with hydrometer readings; what was your OG? What is it now? Good things to know... BTW, the stoppers and airlocks are nice and tight.

I am fermenting at around 65-68 degrees. There are no preservatives. Also, I put the one gallon jug into a hot water bath and it started really bubbling right away. I don't think there is a leak around the stopper. There does seem to be positive pressure on the airlock, it is weird though it just seems constant so there is no bubbling. When I put the jug in the warm water bath though it seemed to start bubbling right away. I just cant constantly leave it in warm water, and it would seem that EC 1118 should be fine at between 65-68 degrees...

Thanks for the advice on dissolving the sugar!

I'm sorry to say I still don't have a hydrometer. Also, could EC 1118 have fermented out that fast? It would only have been about 3 full days?

I'm sorry to say I still don't have a hydrometer. Also, could EC 1118 have fermented out that fast? It would only have been about 3 full days?

I wouldn't have thought so, but it is possible. You did add a lot of yeast when you used a full packet, which is supposed to make 5 gallons, in one gallon of cider. The warm water bath may have accelerated fermentation as well.

I really appreciate the replies as I am new to all of this. I only did the warm water bath on the third day just because of the strangeness of the half-up airlock. Will putting it in the warm water bath periodically harm the end result because of the irregular temp differences? I mean will not keeping the temp constant hurt the end result?

Thanks again for the replies!

Also, the weird thing is I put it in a warm water bath again this morning and the yeast started going crazy again. That indicates to me that the yeast are still alive and there is still sugar for them to eat... I don't know. I wonder if my house just isn't warm enough.

my guess is that its done. L1118 can ferment out in 3 days at that temp. take a taste and see if there is any residual sugar if you dont have a hydro. putting it in the warm water bath is only expanding the volume, so that it pushes air out. When it cools it will suck it back in.

Wow, I will taste it. I hope that it does not create too much negative pressure, suck the bad air or water in the airlock back in thereby infecting my whole batch...

Should it be safe to leave in the carboy while it clarifies?

You guys are awesome. Thanks for all the advice.

Taste it and see if it is sweet, if it isn't then active fermentation is over and it should be racked off the lees. After you rack it, shake the crap out of it to degas it then add campden and sorbate, then you could be drinking on it next week.:rockin:

Yeah, I think I will skip the chemicals, but you guys are right. I can ask questions all day on here, but without a hydrometer, or at the very least a taste, it is all speculation. I will taste it tonight and update this thread. I am just very surprised at how quickly it seems to have fermented out.

Thanks Again!

You don't have to sorbate, just sit it on the shelf for 6 months and rack at least every 3. It does about the same thing but then you leave it up to a prayer as not to catch an infection.

Here's a quick update: I tasted the cider and it was very tart, more so than the other ciders I have made. So, I think most of the residual sugars were gone. It did not taste bad at all. I put the gallon jug in the garage which is probably at around 50 degrees or so, and it is clarifying pretty fast. It is a little darker in color than other ciders, but that is probably from the brown sugar.

Also, without the sorbate, should I be pretty worried about infection if I have been careful with everything else?

I only add sorbate if I'm trying to keep a fermentation from restarting in a cider that has been backsweetened or has not fully fermented. I wouldn't add it otherwise.

Unless you are trying to drink your cider ASAP, I wouldn't shake a carboy after fermentation.

Back