Ever have a Smack Pack Smack itself?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HerotBrewer

Reaction score
I was storing a couple of smack packs in the fridge because I had reused washed yeast and didn't need them. They go in my "beer shelf," which is the top shelf of the door. My children don't have any reason to use that shelf as it's just for my beer. Yesterday I noticed that one of the packs was swollen. Not as big as it would get at room temperature, but something's definitely going on in there. I can't see anything happening to it of the requisite force to break the pack.

Anyone else ever have this happen? I am assuming if I just leave it in the cold the yeasties will hibernate again when they run out of food. Is that correct or should I make a starter with it now and wash the yeast?

Is it PACMAN yeast? Because mines a little swollen as well. Its fine just pitch into a starter when needed

Yes. Several times the internal pouch had been "smacked"...or it was just never sealed properly. Never prevented fermentation, although once the main pack never swelled up at all, just took about a day to get cranking.

I got one that puffed up and stayed at that point. Once I smacked it I could tell the difference, I think it may have been the expansion of the air inside due to it warming, in my case anyway. Pitched and turned out fine.

Back