Grain bill game!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thor the Mighty

Reaction score
Hi there, I ordered a bunch of grain from AHS and they mixed two recipes into two bags, but in the wrong order. I decided on making beer regardless of this shenanniganery. Here is what I have;

11lbs Belgian Pale
2 lbs Caramunich
in bag one;

German Pils 8lbs
spec b 2lbs
carapils 4lbs
in bag two.

I'll get back to you on what hops I have, but this was to make a belgian dubbel and a pilsner of higher strength, but since I have two bags with a bunch of random grains, I was seeing if anyone thinks its a good idea to just make those two batches for an appx 1.086og, and 1.065og respectively...Or just make one big ass beer!!!!? If I made one big ass beer with what I have, the O.G. would be like 1.120 or something nuts like that....I'm thinking yes, for an abt 12 of strange origins, but I'm seeking wisdom from the masses here.

Any input is appreciated. Thank you.

Are you kidding me? Seriously, they must be hiring people that don't brew. Who would think that someone uses 4 pounds of carapils in a recipe, especially along with 2 pounds of special B?

IMO grains should never be mixed ahead of time on a recipe. If you change your mind and decide to change the recipe you are out of luck. If they screwed up (?) they should fix it. If you made the mistake then have at it.

I'll probably end up doing that.

and it was not my fault. I seperated the two batches into two grain bills and they came as two bags all messed up.

I was thinking the same as twood - I'd never use that much special b or carapils in one batch. Mix it and do what hoppymonkey said.

Back