YAY! My first infection! (I think)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeMama

Reaction score
Im almost halfway convinced that I might have some sort of infection in my latest batch of beer. I dryhopped this bugger in the keg and ended up having to stick my hand in the beer to reach down far enough to get the SS herb ball. I knew that this was going to end up being bad juju for the beer, but what can you do?

Since then I have sucked back quite a bit of this beer, but it tastes kind of 'odd'. Taking a whiff of the brew in the cup and its almost reminiscent of an old wet sock. The jury is still out on this one as to whether its an infection, or just some serious off flavors that are making it taste kind of funny. Not bad enough not to drink - just kind of funky... Time for another glass. Yummmmmmm
-Me

I like threads like this. You think your beer may be infected but it's not stopping you from drinking it. I think I may want to join your fan club.

I like threads like this. You think your beer may be infected but it's not stopping you from drinking it. I think I may want to join your fan club.

Well, after learning rather quickly that an infected beer wont hurt you (just might taste or smell bad and give you the runs) Im all about trying to put this beer away before it gets out of hand. I think the extra hops that I used to dry hop it might have given it a bit of life that I might hot have had otherwise.

Need to drink FASTER!!!
-Me

You could have sanitized your arm...I did it once with no ill result. But drink it up none the less!
Cheers,
Brian

Yum, sweaty gym socks. It may be an infection, but it's beer, so drink up. Too, bad you didn't bottle some, so you could let it sit for a few months and see if anything changes in the flavor. Oh well, enjoy...or at least tolerate.

I like that idea!!! If you think you may have an infection drink it faster before it can become worse. :ban:

Back