In need of Hop Plants in Woodstock, GA!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHunter

Reaction score
Hello My Fellow Growers!

I am in Woodstock, GA (near Atlanta) and looking for some hop seeds or hop rhizomes (preferably). I know I can buy them early next year but I want to buy some now to grow under a grow light indoors until spring and then plant them to get a jumpstart.

I am looking for and will pay if anyone nearby will let me have a small rhizome off their rootball.

I am looking for any of the following:

German Halletauer, German Perle, German Tettnanger, and Magnum.

I know German types may not be grown here much so this is an unusual request. However, I would be extremely grateful to anyone who can help or point me in the direction of help. I will pay $20 a piece for any one of these rhizomes.

Chris :)

Good luck, rhizomes are typically not cut until the start of the new season so as to not damage the plant before winter and going dormant.

Your only real chance is someone tearing up a plant for whatever reason!

Thank you for helping me to understand! I didnt know that and dont want to harm anyone's hop plant.

I found a store on EBay that sells small crowns year round! I ordered two of each (all female plants) and they will arrive today by 2 day USPS.

Very excited! Anyone who needs a plant can order from them I suppose - depending on State.

Here is a link if anyone comes looking like I did. They are called Great Lake Hops! Very responsive (messaged me back with answers within hours each time) and shipped fast.

Want 4 Golding crowns? I can't get any hops from them at all. So if you have the horticultural prowess to grow German varieties in our zone, you could probably do something with these too. I live near Augusta GA so your conditions would likely be the same as mine.

Want 4 Golding crowns? I can't get any hops from them at all. So if you have the horticultural prowess to grow German varieties in our zone, you could probably do something with these too. I live near Augusta GA so your conditions would likely be the same as mine.

Ha if he isn't interested I am! ;)

Ha if he isn't interested I am! ;)

Ok, lets give him a day or so to respond, and PM me. Do you have something to trade? my plan for next spring was going to be to try and trade these for some C-hop rhizomes (not cascade). I heard all the c-hops do well in SC, and I know that's true for cascade, I got mountains of them.

Ok, lets give him a day or so to respond, and PM me. Do you have something to trade? my plan for next spring was going to be to try and trade these for some C-hop rhizomes (not cascade). I heard all the c-hops do well in SC, and I know that's true for cascade, I got mountains of them.

Absolutely. I didn't mean to jump in on his thread but thought, "hey don't let those go to waste if he doesn't." ;) I don't have anything in the way of trade. :/ I am just trying to establish my own garden and that variety was on my list for next year. I'd be happy to send you some money for shipping... or wait. I just harvested some zeus hops.. they are first year and only about an oz (dried) but you an have them if you want them. Doesn't seem like a fair trade for you though.

Hi Roastquake! Man, that is so nice of you to offer. Let me tell you - I am so happy to be getting involved in an art that brings out that kind of kindness.

I did end up ordering the entire hop crowns from a company called Great Lake Hops. They sell female hop plants year round. I actually have access to a horticulturist 1 mile from Home and am going to see them tomorrow so if you want me to find out what you could do to get your plants to produce, I would be happy to.

In the meantime, since I have these I ordered, I will focus all my love and attention on them. Thank you thank you thank you so much for responding and offering me some of your plants. If you want me to collect info from the horticulturist, please message me and let me know!

Your fellow hop enthusiast in Georgia, CHunter :)

Back