New Hop Variety: Belma- Puterbaugh Farms

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been scanning their site like a hawk waiting for pellets but so far no sign.

Haha, me too. I refresh at least 10 times a day at work, then check my phone every few hours at home. I know Amarillo/Citra/Centennial are going to sell out quick. I also want to get a few lbs of the Belma because of the price.

I packaged my belma leaf last night into oz increments. They smell pretty darn good to me. I also bought a lb of citra, and side by side the citra smell more potent, but they have very similar scents. Cant beat it at $5 a lb

Also got 19 oz. each Belma & Citra even though we all ordered even lbs. of 16 oz.

im going to get going on this in a few mins. i'll be pitching on top of an active S-04 yeast cake...

6 gallons:

11.75 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
0.75 oz Belma [12.10%] (60 min) Hops 25.6 IBU
1.00 oz Belma [12.10%] (10 min) Hops 12.4 IBU
1.00 oz Belma [12.10%] (5 min) Hops 6.8 IBU
1.00 oz Belma [12.10%] (10 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
2.00 oz Belma [12.10%] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -

racked and dry-hopped yesterday. it smells like tropical fruit punch chewing gum. this is a good thing as far as i'm concerned.

Nice I tried a late addition this weekend of Belmas on my orange blossom Belgian pale - ill report back

jman said:
racked and dry-hopped yesterday. it smells like tropical fruit punch chewing gum. this is a good thing as far as i'm concerned.

Love it. Can't wait for the tasting report!

Brewing up an amber that is hopbursted with belma. Partial mash. My belma smells a little spicy when I pulled it out of the freezer. I am sure as it warms it will smell more like I remember.

Ten days ago, I brewed the following pale ale:

7 pounds 2-row
2 pounds rye malt
1 pound crystal rye
0.6 oz Perle (60 min)
1 oz Cascade (5 min)
Wyeast 1272
OG: 1.045 (efficiency = 65%)

I was originally going to dry hop with Cascade, but will be using 2 oz of Belma instead.

Just got my 2 lbs of this in today. I cut one of the bags when i was opening the box, so took the opportunity to repack it in smaller bags. I'm planning on doing a simple pale ale with a pretty even combination of this and cascade. Hopefully i'll get a good idea of it. Really hope i like it, or it's gonna take forever to get through 2 lbs of the stuff. Either that or let it sit for 3 years and use it in lambics.

Anyone have any tasting notes from their brewing adventures with this hop? I've got a pound and wondering what to do with it.

I'm thinking IPA obviously, but maybe a black IPA? Thoughts?

I tasted my hydrometer sample of a belma hopped amber. It was definitely citrusy but with a spiciness I wasn't expecting. I think my next all belma will be a white IPA.

I'll be doing an Amber Lager as soon as mine arrives. Might use a Bohemian Lager yeast or something along those lines. Here's what I have so far:

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
11 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 91.2 %
7.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 2 3.6 %
6.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 3 3.1 %
4.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 4 2.1 %
0.50 oz Belma [12.10 %] - FWH
0.50 oz Belma [12.10 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 16.5 IBUs
1.00 oz Belma [12.10 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 6 16.4 IBUs
1.00 oz Belma [12.10 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 7 6.6 IBUs
1.00 oz Belma [12.10 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 8 0.0 IBUs
2.00 oz Belma [12.10 %] - Dry Hop 6.0 Days Hop 9 0.0 IBUs

I am in the process of transferring mine to secondary now. I'm going to ask the guy I got the hops from for some to dry hop my amber with.

After tasting what I pulled for the gravity reading, the bitterness is smooth, but my recipe was hop-bursted. I the taste and aroma seem more like a sutttle apricot mixed with tangerine instead of orange like others have reported.

Because of the higher alpha % of this hop I'll only dry hop for 5 days before kegging.

I pulled a gravity sample but my orange blossom honey Belgian just has too many other ingredients like the honey and coriander but I did get some tropical out of it - I hit it with late hops of Belma - it's fermented with chouffe yeast so I'm psyched

I'm very excited about this hop in session pale ales

I've used this in a white IPA and smells great into secondary. Little spice with fruity tones. Have it in with cascades and centennial.

Was going to order 1 pound but shipping was outrageous, so I ordered 2, for only 50 cents more in shipping. Just got them today and had to break into them, and I am glad I went with 2 pounds. Looking forward to putting these to use

Just ordered 2 pounds of them to split with a buddy. Looking forward to seeing the results.

:subscribes:

Im making a double ipa with only Belma hops plan on using 6 oz during mash and boil and dry hopping with 2 oz or maybe more depending on how strong or weak the flavors are. U guys who already brewed got any tips on the strength of the flavor? I see some posts on the flavor profile but none about how strong it is

My next batch will be:

10 gallons

25lbs Maris Otter
2oz Belma @60
2oz Belma @30
2oz Belma @25
3oz Belma @20
3oz Belma @15
4oz Belma @10
4oz Belma @5
4oz Belma @FO

WLP 090 San Diego Super Yeast

6oz Belma Dry Hop @ 10 Days

How is everyone storing their hops? I've been using mason jars and putting them in the fridge. Is this a problem? I use them fairly quickly and wouldn't have them sitting in there for more than 6 months at most. I don't mind a little loss in potency but should I invest in a vaccuum sealer instead? I'd rather not if the mason jars are ok, but would like to have them stay fresh for at least 6 months...

How is everyone storing their hops? I've been using mason jars and putting them in the fridge. Is this a problem? I use them fairly quickly and wouldn't have them sitting in there for more than 6 months at most. I don't mind a little loss in potency but should I invest in a vaccuum sealer instead? I'd rather not if the mason jars are ok, but would like to have them stay fresh for at least 6 months...

I vacuum seal mine... I can assure no or little oxidation. Not sure Mason jars will give you the same assurance unless you purge with CO2..

I vac seal my hops and store them in the deep freezer.

If you put yours in mason jars and store them in the fridge; I believe you will be doing just fine, sir!

You might want to invest in a vac sealer eventually though. They are great for buying hops in bulk. They are great for tons of other stuff too. A Vac sealer is one of those things I wasn't sure if I would use. Once I got it, I use it all the time.

I have the Food Saver Mini. It's cheap and works like a champ.

^^ Awesome, thanks to both of you. Looks like I will be buying a vac sealer in the near future...once I recoup from other recent brewing purchases haha.

How much of a PITA is splitting these 1# bags if leaf hops? 2lbs and it looks like a DEA bust.

ForumRunner_20121102_111211.jpg

theBFG said:

I used up half of 1lb in my brew and had the other half left over so what I did was keep all the hops in that little astronaut bag they come in and resealed it with an iron for a few seconds on high. Leave a corner unsealed and then u can push out all the air and then seal that edge too.

theveganbrewer said:
How much of a PITA is splitting these 1# bags if leaf hops? 2lbs and it looks like a DEA bust.

I was taking my extra re packaged hops over to to my friends house to store in a deep freezer, and I left them on the front seat of my car with a bag of dextrose while I ran into the store. People were probably walking by thinking to themselves "what an unintelligent man, leaving his drugs in plan sight at the store"

Nice, I just ordered a pound of Belma leaf... Gonna give it a shot.. Spicy, and fruity sound good to me.

Might do a nice Belma Saison.

Just taste tested some of my beer in fermentation and the Belma hops are not what I expected not really like citra or a tropical fruity more of a spicy fruity reminds me of li hing fruits if u know what that is.

Spicy and fruity might be a good combo to layer some complexity in your beers though.

Going for a citrusy, piney ipa but want that spicy in there without over doing it with... Chinook? Toss in some Belma, some Cascade, and some simcoe, and you've got a citrusy/piney/spicy hob juice!

Back