20 oz Paintball CO2 tank for force carbonating

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paraordnance

Reaction score
Anybody use it that way? I have a lot of 20 oz paintball CO2 tanks and really don't want to buy dedicated 5-10 lbs tank to carbonate beer in corny kegs. Will it work? Some sites who sell adapters do not reccomend using 20 oz for force carbonation, only to dispense beer :( True or false?

It would work, but wouldn't be able to carb more than one or two kegs, if even that. Those things are brilliant for mobile set ups, but not very practical for a kegorator. Not enough volume.

Sure, if you have lots of them lying around and can get them filled cheaply. They'll do one or two kegs. It's not recommended only because they'll limited to one or two kegs.

Wait - Wait - A 20oz paintball tank X 4 equals a 5 pound CO² tank. I use them all the time.. Problem? None.

A 20 oz'er is a lot of CO² for carbing and dispensing.

IMHO

EDIT: Unless you have a leak. (But then you just saved a 5 pounder. No?)

I actually leasing a huge and heavy CO2 tank from Praxair to fill my little 8-20 oz tanks for paintball games. Not sure the volume of that thing, its a skinny 9 inch x 51 inches tall cylinder from Praxair welding type of cylinders. I have a fill station as well. I'm not worried about how many times I'll have to fill my 20 oz'er, I'm worried if 20-er will fully carbonate a corny in one shot. I'm new to beerbrewing, on my first butch right now so bear with me :D

Wait - Wait - A 20oz paintball tank X 4 equals a 5 pound CO² tank. I use them all the time.. Problem? None.

A 20 oz'er is a lot of CO² for carbing and dispensing.

IMHO

EDIT: Unless you have a leak. (But then you just saved a 5 pounder. No?)

well, acording to my calculations 20 oz CO2 paintball cylinder is about 1/10 of 5 lb tank so thats where my worries comes from. Will it fully carbonate and dispense 1 corny keg of freshly made homebrew?

well, acording to my calculations 20 oz CO2 paintball cylinder is about 1/10 of 5 lb tank so thats where my worries comes from. Will it fully carbonate and dispense 1 corny keg of freshly made homebrew?
Hmmm..
There are 16 oz in 1 pound.
5 lbs X 16 oz = 80 oz.
80 oz / 20 oz = 4 (number of fills)
which equals 1 lb 4 oz per fill.

Now to your question. If you do not have any leaks and do not waste the co² in your process, you should be able to fully carb and dispense ± 2 kegs on a 20 oz'er.

EDIT: (for an after thought) Are you filling your paintball tank by weight? If not, there is your issue. You MUST fill by weight or your risk is high.

Sounds like you'll be fine, a little more work for you since you will have to refill a 20 ozer more than a 5lb one. But if I had what you have starting out I would do it the same way ;)

I actually leasing a huge and heavy CO2 tank from Praxair to fill my little 8-20 oz tanks for paintball games. Not sure the volume of that thing, its a skinny 9 inch x 51 inches tall cylinder from Praxair welding type of cylinders. I have a fill station as well. I'm not worried about how many times I'll have to fill my 20 oz'er, I'm worried if 20-er will fully carbonate a corny in one shot. I'm new to beerbrewing, on my first butch right now so bear with me :D

Back