is there an alternative to barley malt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beermann

Reaction score
i am struggling to find a supplier of barley malt in supermarkets, can anybody suggest an alternative to barley malt?

I hope you're wearing your flame-retardant undergarments!!!! And only 19?

I'd suggest finding a homebrew shop.. But this is probably the only advice you're going to get around here until you turn 21.. Sorry.

buy it at a home brew store
there really is no getting around it

its like makeing wheat beard with out wheat
sure you can make rye or pumpernickle but it aint wheat
and besides you arnt going to get yeast or hops there eather

find a homebrew shop around you or buy online
and do some research
homebrewing for dummies is a really good book it was my first i have lots now
Amazon.com: Homebrewing For Dummies (For Dummies (Sports & Hobbies)): Marty Nachel: Books

High Gravity Homebrew & Winemaking Supplies
MoreBeer | Beer Making and Home Brewing Supplies
Austin Homebrew Supply

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, not meaning to come off as rude but have you looked for a Homebrew supply? Thought about on-line purchases?

Outside of that, maybe a bakery supply.

Edit: Note to self. Check birthdates in profiles.

At least give him a chance to post where he lives before you blast him.

Homebrew shops are really your only choice, especially if you can't do AG.

Try an online shop, you can grab a credit card gift card at the bank w/ cash... you'll save money even with shipping.

Oops.. guess I spoke before thinking. Well my advice is still the same - find a local homebrew shop. You'll be able to get just about anything you'll need to brew: malt, malt extract, specialty grains, hops, yeast and equipment.

Since beerman hasn't posted a location, it's reasonable for us to assume he's an American an therefor under-age.

The OP is in the UK.

I'm not sure of European suppliers, but I would think a homebrew shop or online would be your only choice. It's not an item typically found in stores, even health food stores, since it's used for brewing.

I never really understood why Home brew shops dont sell to people under 21. What about personal responsibilty of the buyer. Plus I have the opinion if you can sign a legal document at 18 then you can legally drink.

The OP is in the UK.

I'm not sure of European suppliers, but I would think a homebrew shop or online would be your only choice. It's not an item typically found in stores, even health food stores, since it's used for brewing.

Ok, well if the yoops posting in it, it must be ok for us to offer advice.

Beerman, it is doubtful you will be able to get malted barley in a grocery store, I'm not sure of you can get unmalted 2 or 4-row barley in a store either to malt yourself....The closest thing you might get in a store is baking grade barley malt extract....but it isn't quite as pure as the brewer's grade we use for extract brewing.

586912b.jpg

582522b.jpg

But they only come in 350 gram jars, which would take a lot of jars to make 5 gallons of beers...not even counting the need for hops, which I'm sure you can't find in a store either....

Your best bet would be to perhaps find a brewclub in your area, or a mentor brewer to help you....hmmmm, where in the UK are you? We have a certain goblinesque member/moderator on your side of the pond, who may be able to help you...

For what it's worth, my local Whole Foods sells bulk unmalted 6-row and 2-row barley.

I have yet to test whether it can be malted. I only bought some to feed my birds.

For what it's worth, my local Whole Foods sells bulk unmalted 6-row and 2-row barley.

I have yet to test whether it can be malted. I only bought some to feed my birds.

Hehehe...I remember reading somewhere that on occasion it turns out that mixed birdseed contains some of hop's evil "cousin" in it....or was that just a drug myth from the '70's along with smoking banana peels....

*heads off to snopes*

Then I feel like an extra-special *******!:(

Don't- there is no way for you to know WHERE the poster is from, and we appreciate a heads up on possible underaged posters. (I don't know that the poster is from the UK for sure, just where the IP is registered).

It's not hard to find barley malt extract, unless you're in Turkey or some other country where homebrewing isn't common.

Hehehe...I remember reading somewhere that on occasion it turns out that mixed birdseed contains some of hop's evil "cousin" in it....or was that just a drug myth from the '70's along with smoking banana peels....

Nope. My SWMBOs uncle keeps canaries and uses it. It is "deactivated" however, or whatever the technical term is. (Smokeless?) ;)

Don't- there is no way for you to know WHERE the poster is from, and we appreciate a heads up on possible underaged posters. (I don't know that the poster is from the UK for sure, just where the IP is registered).

I hear ya, but that aside I'm from the UK myself and need to remember my manners and quit jumping to conclusions.

To the OP, if you are indeed in the UK I hope you have as much fun making yer own beer as I'm having so far. :rockin:

You guys are fooking funny!.....trying my first corn mash now. Is it not possible to use an already malted beverage in replacement of the barley? Like a high gravity, or dark beer? beer

*heads off to snopes*

If you are referring to hemp, there's nothing evil about it. I'm not talking "cannabis".

As far as banana peels...

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bs7xZKXwyR0[/ame]

Back