RIS Swap - Brewsmith's Beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewsmith

Home brewing moogerfooger
Reaction score
Here's my 8.8.8 tasting thread. My beers were sent to Professor Frink, jacobyhale, and DeathBrewer.

i tried this beer the other night and it was awesome! MUCH roastier than mine...much more full flavors, almost overpowering but quite the delight. i'll give a written review on the next bottle in a couple of days.
:mug:

OK, i did this score sheet about a week ago...sorry for slacking on posting:

RIS 08/08/08

Bottle inspection: well filled, nice hiss upon opening

Aroma: Fruity, roasted aroma.

Appearance: Nice brown head, jet black, good lacing with a nice little foam all the way to the finish.

Flavor: Overly roasty, but somewhat smooth. leaves a bittery, roasty finish. nice chocolate complexity. the bitterness mellows as it warms, but still is very prominent.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, crisp and full. very nice.

Overall impression: The Roastiness is a bit much. i don't know if you changed this recipe, but i would either cut down on the roasted barley or check where you may have picked up some bitter astringency elsewhere. it seems to have a much more pronounced bitter roastiness than all the other RISs i have tried.

This could be improved, but I still really enjoyed it. can't go wrong with an RIS 08/08/08!

I enjoyed the barleywine you sent some time back. i don't have a review for it, but that was a great beer. thanks again.
:mug:

Aroma: Nice, sweet aroma. No hop character detected.

Appearance: Very dark (as expected), thick tan head with excellent retention.

Flavor: Very smooth, sweet up front with good roastiness on the back end. Excellent aftertaste. No hot alcohol flavor. Mildly acidic with no fruit esters.

Mouthfeel: Smooth with nice full body.

Overall impression: A very good beer. It may have been letting it sit in the fridge for 2 months, but this beer is very smooth without any overwhelming roastiness.

Latest posts

Back