Thermoelectric Cooler as fermentation chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisS

I like cold beverages
Reaction score
So I was looking around the net at tools for a potential home improvement project and took a peek at the coolers on sale at walmart and ran across the Coleman PowerChill 40-Quart Thermoelectric Cooler with Power Supply. The dimenstions look like they might be large enough for a carboy (17.25 x 16.0 x 24.0 (L x W x H) although that might be outside dimensions)

Would it work? Would the electric Co love you for raising their bottom line if you had this running 24/7?

The only reason I am looking at it is I have a small fridge that is beer and other and the other full size fridge with the freezer is usually filled to the gills with food so finding space for ince bottles is hard to come by. If my townhouse had a basement it would be different, but I have to use what I got.

ChrisS said:
So I was looking around the net at tools for a potential home improvement project and took a peek at the coolers on sale at walmart and ran across the Coleman PowerChill 40-Quart Thermoelectric Cooler with Power Supply. The dimenstions look like they might be large enough for a carboy (17.25 x 16.0 x 24.0 (L x W x H) although that might be outside dimensions)

Would it work? Would the electric Co love you for raising their bottom line if you had this running 24/7?

The only reason I am looking at it is I have a small fridge that is beer and other and the other full size fridge with the freezer is usually filled to the gills with food so finding space for ince bottles is hard to come by. If my townhouse had a basement it would be different, but I have to use what I got.

Brewpartner and I are actually formulating a way to use Peltier Coolers (TEC) as a fermentation cooler and maybe even lagerator.... I'll post when we get it up, running, and tested.

Yes, please keep us updated. I've had ideas about building something like son of fermentation chiller, using a Peltier cooler instead of jugs of ice. But if someone else is working on it I'll wait and see what you come up with before I try to re-invent the wheel.

JayC said:
Yes, please keep us updated. I've had ideas about building something like son of fermentation chiller, using a Peltier cooler instead of jugs of ice. But if someone else is working on it I'll wait and see what you come up with before I try to re-invent the wheel.

People have already used these in SOFC and had success.... search Peltier and check some out.

Our idea was to actually step this up.... Using a well insulated cooler some water in the cooler to retain cool temperatures and the fermenters straight into the water.... we have confidence it'll work.... waiting to get the Peltier unit in the mail.

Back