Last Second Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bdub

Reaction score
I am about to start my first brew using steeping grains and hops. Until now(my one brew i have under my belt) i have used simple extract only kits.

So, before i begin i come here to seek advice to make it easier, and to avoid common mistakes.

The one question i have after reading the instructions with the kit is whether or not to filter the wort as I filter it into the primary?

You don't have to strain the wort as its going into primary. My biggest tip for steeping grains is do not squeeze the grain bag when you're draining into your pot...

There is no need to strain. The hop pellets will settle down in the primary and the beer will be nice and clean. As Soulive mentioned, when you are done steeping the grains, don't squeeze the grain bag as you may get tannin extraction (resulting in an astringent feeling).

Filter no.

If you have a strainer it would be good to strain the steeping grains out of the wort before you bring it to a boil. You might have some kind of grain bag in the kit that can perform a similar function.

Likewise, it would be good to strain the hops out of the wort after the boil on the way to the primary fermenter.

HTH,
P

EDIT: I do agree with Mr. Focus that you dont have to strain the hops out...

are you putting the hops in a nylon bag? i find the bag help from getting more hops in the primary. also how are you chilling? if you are useing an immersion chiller the cold break is ok just try to leave any burnt stuff in the pot. relax and have fun

No. Im just tossing the hops in.

I plan on chilling by setting it in the snow outside my door. its below 30 degrees outside. I figure covered it will be fine.

Just remember don't go over the recommended temp of the water during steeping...usually 165. If you go over 170 then it won't matter if you squeeze the bag or not, you'll get the tannins.

Are you going to do a late extract addition?

I am following the AHB instructions as closely as i possible can, and it has me adding all extract at once.

Back