Bursting Blonde

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwapogorilla

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Yeast Starter
yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
SUPERB! Crisp and sweet. Orange flavor followed by a touch of peach
I wanted a sweet beer for summertime. I studied up on hops and placed an order for some newer varieties that were stated as being very fruity. I wanted the flavors of the hops to come through, so I decided to do some "hop bursting"(hence the name...bursting blonde). WOW! IT WORKED GREAT!:fro:
This is a crisp, fruity and easy drinking beer! I found it hard to stop drinking...I had a six-pak down in no time at all!:drunk: It has a nice sweetness from the naked oats, with a delicious orange flavor followed by a hint of peach from the Caliente and Mosiac hops.
This is my first all grain, my first original recipe...and it's a keeper!!!:mug:
If your looking for a good summertime ale, here it is!

6 lbs 12.0 oz 2-row (Rahr) (1.8 SRM)
1 lbs Oats, Golden Naked (Simpsons) (10.0 SRM)
12.0 oz Carapils (Briess) (1.5 SRM)
12.0 oz Vienna Malt (Briess) (3.5 SRM)
5.0 oz Munich Malt (Briess) (10.0 SRM)
Mash at 150* for 60 minutes

Boil for 60 minutes
0.2 oz Calypso [13.00 %] - Boil 25.0 min
0.2 oz Mosaic [12.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min
0.2 oz Caliente [15.60 %] - Boil 15.0 min
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 10.0 mins)
0.2 oz Mosaic [12.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min
0.2 oz Caliente [15.60 %] - Boil 5.0 min
0.5 oz Caliente [15.60 %] - Boil 2.0 min
0.5 oz Mosaic [12.00 %] - Boil 2.0 min
As you can see, all of the hop additions are late in the boil, this is whats called "hop bursting". I had to add more hops in order to get the desired bitterness while at the same time it's adding more hop flavor and aroma.

1.0 pkg American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056)

2.00 oz Fresh Orange Peel zest (Sweet) (Secondary 7.0 days)
I used the zest from 1 1/2 of the best tasting naval oranges I could find. I put the zest in a cup of water, then nuked it to a boil. I let it cool, drained the water into the secondary and placed the zest in a hop sac and "dry hopped" the orange zest.

I've gotten some good reviews on this beer after distributing some sample bottles. Here are a few of them...

From the wife, whom DOES NOT drink beer, like the taste or even the smell of beer....after her 2nd drink. "WOW! It's sweet. If I were to ever start drinking beer, this would be it honey. You better save that recipe!"

From my coworker. "That has got to be the easiest drinking beer I have ever had! If I were to have 1 keg for my bar, I would have to have that. I tasted peach. How and the hell did you get peach in there?"

Brother, who likes "Blue Moon" a lot. "WOW! That is better than Blue Moon! I picked up just a touch of peach flavor, but it was gone as soon as I noticed it. Those 2 bottles didn't last long!"

Back