1-Gallon Brewers UNITE!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
probably 3/8" unless its the large size and thats 1/2", but most likely 3/8"

Just bought a bunch more fruit for my cyser and a batch of grain, gotta make more recipes up soon to get some back stock of grains.

probably 3/8" unless its the large size and thats 1/2", but most likely 3/8"

Just bought a bunch more fruit for my cyser and a batch of grain, gotta make more recipes up soon to get some back stock of grains.

You sir are correct. . Brewed 10 gallons of cream ale today in the big pot. . I really cant wait to finish my smaller pot

grand opening of my first hefe last night... i thought it was really good.

my son says to me... "it's really good dad, nice a fruity, almost has a wine taste to it.".

my reply, of course, "glad you like it, that's how it's supposed to taste".

that nice fruity taste was a very, very, faint 'apple' kind of flavor.

is a hefe supposed to have that?

still... it was really good.

F me! The damn blow off tube must have sucked to the side of the milk jug. I tried to position it so
it wouldn't as it has happened to me before; but i didn't lose any beer but this batch is half gone

image-646495646.jpg

F me! The damn blow off tube must have sucked to the side of the milk jug. I tried to position it so
it wouldn't as it has happened to me before; but i didn't lose any beer but this batch is half gone

View attachment 89958

OMG I hate wasting beer like that. What a bummer man. That's why i'm not sure about those Bottles for the 1 gallon batches. I know they are slightly larger than a gallon but because of the neck getting smaller I have had blowouts too! Now with the 2 gallon buckets, I feel much better when I put the 1 gallon batch in those with a regular airlock.

image-287439871.jpg

Well this has only happened to me twice in over a year. But I think it has to do with my milk jug method as the blow off tube sucks the side of the jug. It was Ed Worts Hause pale ale. That was my last batch of the year as I'm out of supplies. I was constantly checking it too over the last 36 hrs anticipating this.

I know I filled this jug up to the top but I have been doing it that way for a while

i squeeze as much into a carboy as i possibly can, too. that's never been a problem for me.

difference for me (as we have discussed) is i use 1 1/4 inner diameter hoses, so getting clogged would be next to impossible, and i also use large plastic jars (with very wide mouths) filled with star san on the other end.

the kind cashews come in at costco.

So, I did some more reading per my slow fermentation on my brown ale (which now has some meager krausen, and regular airlock activity), and saw that someone said fermenting in the low 60's may stall yeast activity... What?

Maybe in the low 50's, I'd expect some stalled activity, but the 60's are where you want to be! I feel a little rusty after more than an month off of brewing, but some one back me up on this!?

Last post on this page: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/sluggish-fermentation-minimal-krausen-367825/

Low 60's will be slow for an ale yeast, it will work fine but it is on the low end so they are going to work slower. Some ale yeasts can go really low (i.e. 54F), but they take a lot of work to get there without them just falling out. Usually they will just drop if at 60 or below.

jwalk4 said:
So, I did some more reading per my slow fermentation on my brown ale (which now has some meager krausen, and regular airlock activity), and saw that someone said fermenting in the low 60's may stall yeast activity... What?

Maybe in the low 50's, I'd expect some stalled activity, but the 60's are where you want to be! I feel a little rusty after more than an month off of brewing, but some one back me up on this!?

Last post on this page: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/sluggish-fermentation-minimal-krausen-367825/

Are you fermenting with US-05 or 1056 or ?? If it say a US-05 then you are at the bottom end of your temp. It should still ferment but it may chug along. I tend to ferment at 67 and it goes off better and I don't ever get any hot fusel's Can you warm it up a bit and roust it?

I'm using a new plastic 3 gal. carboy in a swamp cooler (I was getting tired of messing with various blow off tubes so I upsized) but don't have a thermometer on it yet. The water around the carboy is at 59 - 60. I figure an average ferment for me boosts my wort temp by 5-10 degrees depending on how vigorous the fermentation. The trouble is, as I'm sure you guys know, the warmer the temperatures the carboy sits in, the hotter the fermentation will be, and I've had temperatures run away on me before. I usually pull the carboy out of the swamp cooler after 3-4 days, after the attenuative stage is finished, and let it sit at air temp in my basement which is about 66.

I knew that the plastic carboy would exchange heat faster than my glass ones, but I guess I under estimated how much heat it would exchange. I'm guessing the wort is probably 62ish degrees then? And therefore a little low.... Well, there is a first time for eveything, and this is the first time that I've fermented at too low. I guess we'll see how this turns out =)

*edit* I'm using a Cooper's yeast packet I had left over from a kit a while back. If I remember correctly, it gives a nice fruity flavor, let alone if I ferment to high and get estery off flavors to add to it!

try to raise the temp up a few degrees to about 65 and let it go i fermented with 05 at about 60 before and it was a very slow fermentation...

BTW whose bored we should have a google+ hangout

cheesecake said:
try to raise the temp up a few degrees to about 65 and let it go i fermented with 05 at about 60 before and it was a very slow fermentation...

BTW whose bored we should have a google+ hangout

I am bored to death.... At a family birthday party and all of my home-brew is already gone!!

I am bored to death.... At a family birthday party and all of my home-brew is already gone!!

i've made it very clear to "the family" that home brew will not be brought out during parties.

it takes me 7 weeks to make 8 bottles... i'm not wasting it on big events.

for those i will happily buy a decent commercial beer, but home brew is for home.

:)

I try to have 5 gallons of extract cream ale or something light to keep around thats brewed in bottles for when a party comes up.. like tomorrow. Amber moon it is. It was supposed to be a blue moon clone but they sent the wrong extract

Keep half for yourself, give the others away, gives you more reason to brew more often haha. That's my system

i share it, almost always, but only with my son, or my B.I.L, in very small groups (like 3 people).

a complete batch can go in one sitting.

heck, with a little effort a couple batches can go in one sitting.

that's why i have FOUR batches in the fridge for today and tomorrow

I'm pretty free with giving out my homebrew, but I mostly give it to those who can give me good feedback in return. =) BMC for everyone else!

dadshomebrewing said:
am i the only butthead who is stingy with his home brew?

Hell no...I am getting stingier all the time..lol. I only brought 6 bottles over last night and I barely got one but I have the rest of my stash here at home. Tomorrow, party is at our house. Homebrew is locked up already and I bought a case of MGD for the crowd. Most of them prefer lagers anyway. I may even have one to keep it light.

I do however share with my brew buddies all the time because we all share with each other. That's a great system for us to always have some variety.

Hell no...I am getting stingier all the time..lol. I only brought 6 bottles over last night and I barely got one but I have the rest of my stash here at home. Tomorrow, party is at our house. Homebrew is locked up already and I bought a case of MGD for the crowd. Most of them prefer lagers anyway. I may even have one to keep it light.

I do however share with my brew buddies all the time because we all share with each other. That's a great system for us to always have some variety.

thank god... i'm not the only one.

Anyone have a clever use for a growler? (half gallon, regarding small batch brewing)

I brought one home from Christmas, but don't really have a good idea for what I will actually use it for. (no, I prolly won't brew a half gallon batch, that's way too small)

rawkstar320 said:
I was thinking that, I read a few places that said it was a bad idea to condition in the growler? I guess they are more likely to explode.

I was kind of wondering the same thing about Pepsi bottles. I know I have heard its okay to use Pepsi 12 oz or 20 oz plastic to condition as long as you keep it out of the light. But yesterday I went shopping with SWMBO and we picked up a 1/2 liter bottle which I've never seen until now and thought that would be kinda cool to put 1/2 batch in. Anyone ever do this before?

divrguy said:
I was kind of wondering the same thing about Pepsi bottles. I know I have heard its okay to use Pepsi 12 oz or 20 oz plastic to condition as long as you keep it out of the light. But yesterday I went shopping with SWMBO and we picked up a 1/2 liter bottle which I've never seen until now and thought that would be kinda cool to put 1/2 batch in. Anyone ever do this before?

BTW, Merry Christmas all!

how much does a growler hold?

how about making a one gallon batch, and splitting it and giving each half a different treatment?

like dry-hopping half, or putting some sort of flavoring in half (like vanilla, honey, coffee, or fruit)?

my Christmas Cranberry Ale is nasty.

ick

opened a couple up for dinner last night... good thing i have three other batches sitting in bottles as backup.

this is a recipe that will not be tried again.

i may wait a couple more weeks and see if it improves, but it's already been 4 weeks in the bottles.

Back