My Fermentation 'closet'

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rook

Reaction score
status.jpg

The only free room we had was SWMBO's shower. She can use mine :)

We live in a condo with 2.5 baths, so we have one other full bathroom with tub/shower that we use (my bathroom). I don't have room anywhere else in the house to put all of this stuff, and incase I get any leaks or bottle bombs, it goes down the drain :)

Rook said:
We live in a condo with 2.5 baths, so we have one other full bathroom with tub/shower that we use (my bathroom). I don't have room anywhere else in the house to put all of this stuff, and incase I get any leaks or bottle bombs, it goes down the drain :)
I've been brewing over 13 years and never had one of those problems...hmmm...

Looking at your pic I'd like to offer you a bit of advice...if you got a piece of plywood and put it over the tub you'd have a larger surface area for storage.

For anticipated "drainage" you could drill a couple of holes...;)

homebrewer99, I haven't either, and I'm not anticipating it, but I have nothing to worry about it if it does happen. I wish I had a spare bedroom or even a spare corner of a room I could put everything in, but this truly is the only spare area in our house that will fit everything.

and yeah, good ole popov for the airlocks. Smells like jet fuel though.

I use my bathroom as well and I discovered a reason to keep using it. I live in the south and it is terribly hot and humid. We turn up thermostat up to 80 – 85F when we leave for the day. The bathroom has a vent. When the rest of the house is 85F, the small bathroom is 70F with the door kept shut. And it works just the opposite in the winter.

EdWort said:
Good old Popov vodka. Great stuff for the Airlocks!

damn beat me to it....The budget days of drinking with my buddies, an 18 pack of 5.9% natty ice, and a bottle of Popov...so hung over the next day after those nights

EdWort said:
Good old Popov vodka. Great stuff for the Airlocks!

Ive never heard of using vodka in an airlock before. Whats the reason behind it? Not trying to thread jack, just curious.

Zar said:
Ive never heard of using vodka in an airlock before. Whats the reason behind it? Not trying to thread jack, just curious.

In case there's any suckback (which is not uncommon during temp drops), the liquid is sure to be sanitary if it's vodka. I've used Star San before, but the problem with that is the foaming action---during a vigorous primary ferment, the constant bubbling results in the star san foaming out of the airlock cap. So I just use star san during secondary...and vodka for primary.

yeah but I bet none of your duckys have rain hats. thats what makes my ducky the best.

RAIN HAT.

Back in the college days, Popov was my top choice for buying cheap vodka and lying to the Ladies that it was really some good stuff. It used to have a more attractive label.

It is a pity that so much of this hobby takes place in a room that was designed for poop. But what can you do?

I am finally building my brewery, otherwise known as a garage, into which I am installing a commercial 3 compartment sink. I can't wait.

Back