Sulfur smell in cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoatmanTom

Reaction score
I used this recipe below and got a horrible sulfur smell when I checked the SG. I started this batch 4 days ago.
5 gallons apple cider (past / asorbic acid only)
No sugar added
60 oz blackberries (stovetop past, added pecitc emzyme
Yeast nutrient
Acid blend
5 grams of Cote des Blancs yeast.
Bubbled like crazy for 2 days then slowed and the stopped.

I did the same extact thing with my raspberry batch which turned out awesome. Well, the only difference was I omited the 2 pounds of sugar. I wanted something less potient.
OG= 1.049 four days later SG=1.000

Any help would be great.

Thanks,
TOM

It's perfectly normal and will go away in a couple days. cheers!

Search for "rhino farts."

My experience also was that sulfur odor went away... in my batch it wasn't until after the 2nd fermentation (in-bottle) had 'aged' for a month in an ~61-64F environment (basement).

Monty

I usually get a small amount of sulfur smell half way through primary fermentation. Since your numbers look like you might be finished. I would "lightly" splash rack it into a secondary. Lightly means just letting the syphon hose pour onto the side of the carboy (inside of course) instead of under the surface of the wort. I've also heard of people using campden to help release the sulfur gases.

Campden creates sulfur gas, doesn't release it. It will dissipate with time. Splash racking will help dissipate it but only to a point and you run the risk of oxidation if you are done fermenting. Patience.

Latest posts

Back