home brew clubs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd

Reaction score
I was finally able to attend my local homebrew club meeting. I have to say it was a real let down. It seemed like the guys running things thought it was some professional tasting event and did nothing but hammer everyones beer.

I was really hoping to just hang out and talk about brewing and what not. Maybe find some guidence or experience to help me along the way. No one even mentioned brewing. What is everyone elses experience?

Oh, I suggested maybe having a brew day where we get together and brew some batches. Apparently no one ever thought of that before??

I think if I went to a meeting and the guys running it were hammering on everyone's beer, I'd never go back again.

I'd love to get involved with a local club, and have actually looked into it a little bit, but my schedule is a little tight these days.

I've been talking about going to my local homebrew club meeting for months but I never end up going. I tried to go once and got lost and I haven't tried to go again

ive spoken with a couple around here. Doesn't sound like something I'd enjoy. Basically everyone throws money in, and then brew up 10 gallons to keep at this guys house. Then drink the next time you're there.

Hell I do that at my house anyways. Besides, I know my beers are good. Im not looking for a critique or a hammering from another brewer. I would rather take a critique from a barfly, than a self proclaimed beer expert.

Chimone said:
ive spoken with a couple around here. Doesn't sound like something I'd enjoy. Basically everyone throws money in, and then brew up 10 gallons to keep at this guys house. Then drink the next time you're there.

Hell I do that at my house anyways. Besides, I know my beers are good. Im not looking for a critique or a hammering from another brewer. I would rather take a critique from a barfly, than a self proclaimed beer expert.

that is how I felt, there were a few people there that were nice and I'd love to have some people to hang out with who were into this as well. I'm going to the next meeting and we will see how that is.

One of the things I was looking for when I first came to this site was info on a local brewclub, but hell, y'all are basically all the brewclub I need!

I'd still like to be able to hook up with a group of folks - preferably ones with attitudes like those around here - but it seems those aren't all that common.

Personally, I think GRABASS has the right structure.

I had a similar experience about 10 years ago. I showed up at a meeting and was totally ignored for 30 minutes. I waited for a good opportunity to stand up and introduce myself as a prospective member. Bad move. Apparently guest introductions wasn't on the schedule and everyone just glared at me. I hung around for a few more minutes then split. Fukc them, I never went back.

Todd said:
I was finally able to attend my local homebrew club meeting. I have to say it was a real let down. It seemed like the guys running things thought it was some professional tasting event and did nothing but hammer everyones beer.

I was really hoping to just hang out and talk about brewing and what not. Maybe find some guidence or experience to help me along the way. No one even mentioned brewing. What is everyone elses experience?

Oh, I suggested maybe having a brew day where we get together and brew some batches. Apparently no one ever thought of that before??

Here in Philly, we have H.O.P.S. (Homebrewers of Philadelphia and Suburbs). Unfortunately, Todd, you're a little past the Philly 'burbs. I haven't actually been yet... hoping to make my first meeting on Wednesday. But, I have a feeling it is a lot better than some self proclaimed experts bashing everyones' brews. The meetings are held at my LHBS and the couple that runs it is awesome. So, I imagine the club will be as well.

the_bird said:
One of the things I was looking for when I first came to this site was info on a local brewclub, but hell, y'all are basically all the brewclub I need!

I'd still like to be able to hook up with a group of folks - preferably ones with attitudes like those around here - but it seems those aren't all that common.

Personally, I think GRABASS has the right structure.

What is Grabass?

If I remember the acronym correctly, it's Greater Raleigh Area Brewers And Suds Sippers... ask Boston and Walker-san about it, it's their little group.

I'm a little jealous of their adventures, although apparently every time someone from Massachusetts tags along the cops get involved.

I've seen some of the get togethers and stuff on here and honestly that is what I was hoping for. Oh well. Live and learn.. I'll just have to start my own group.

todd_k said:
I've been talking about going to my local homebrew club meeting for months but I never end up going. I tried to go once and got lost and I haven't tried to go again

Todd, you really should try going at least once. The guys at James River Homebrewers are good guys and very welcoming. The new president is a distributor for Legend and does sampling at every meeting. As far as getting lost goes, finding Legends can be a PITA if you're unfamiliar with the area.

Jason

Back