Building my HERMS System

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmallon

Reaction score
Hello,
So after several months of extract brewing, and reading about HERMS/RIMS, Single Tier/Two Tier/Three Tier systems, and just about every article I can find on this forum I decide to build myself a HERMS system. I am modeling mine after The Pol's system.
I have a couple questions and was wondering if anyone could field them. First, I can just plug my heating element (120V 1500W element) into my Johnson controller. Secondly, what size HERMS coil should I use? I assume a 25 ft. 1/2 in. coil but don't want to assume anything with this system. Also, am I going for 1/2 in. OD (outside diameter) or ID (inside diameter). Also, does anyone know a good place to buy 50 ft. of copper? I am also looking to build a new IC, and would like to buy all the copper bulk.
Those are my questions right now. Hopefully, when I am done with this project I will have a large write up so I can give something back to the community. But until then, thanks for any help.

I have been looking to build a HERMS in the near to distant future. I know many people use coppertubingsales.com. They also sell on ebay. I would think you would just use HVAC tubing for the IC and the HERMS coil. I used HVAC for my IC and it worked great. Remember though that 1/2 inch HVAC tubing requires 3/8 copper fittings.

I think most people do plug their heating coil into a Johnson or a Ranco controller.

:ban:If you are building a chiller go for a Counter Flow wort Chiller. Take the same amount of copper plus a few fittings, a hose and a whole bunch of zippy ties and you've got something much more useful. Don't get me wrong, I too have an immersion chiller, but as soon as I built my CFC it got set aside and I havn't used it since. It's a couple bux more to build but you will be much happier with it! Happy Brewing!!!

Quick questions-should I go with 1/2" or 5/8" OD copper tubing? Mind you I am ordering 50 in. and splitting that in half for the IC and the HERMS coil. I know that with the 1/2" I need to use 3/8" copper fittings, so I am assuming for 5/8" I am using 1/2" fittings-but does the size help to increase heat exchange? Any help would be great. Thanks.

Quick questions-should I go with 1/2" or 5/8" OD copper tubing? Mind you I am ordering 50 in. and splitting that in half for the IC and the HERMS coil. I know that with the 1/2" I need to use 3/8" copper fittings, so I am assuming for 5/8" I am using 1/2" fittings-but does the size help to increase heat exchange? Any help would be great. Thanks.

1/2" copper tubing has an OD of 5/8", 1/2" is the ID. I would get type "L" (thin walled) because pressure is not a worry and it will save you some cash. I would order more than 50 inches unless you meant 50'. The bendable copper tubing is available at either Lowes or Home Depot and can be purchased in 25' lenghts. There is no need to order off the internet and pay shipping.

I have numerous Electric HERMS threads on here with components and parts lists. Use the search function here, there is A LOT of information on building a HERMS on HBT.

Latest posts

Back