Yeast Starter/Stir Plate Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gadget369

Reaction score
Been lurking and reading all the threads for a while now and couldn't find an answer to this question. This is my first attempt to make a starter.
I made a 1.5L starter with White Labs WLP002 English Ale Yeast added to DME and water that had a OG of 1.040.
I put this on my stirplate and let it do it's thing.
DSC_1197.jpg

After about 24 hours or so the yeast became kinda chunky and no longer dissolved in the wort.
Is this normal or did something go wrong? Sorry no picture of the chunky yeast.

WLP002 has very high floccuation, I would say this is normal. Yeast starters are generally tapped on nutrients (and should be considered done) in about 24-36 hours. Given the low attenuation of WLP002 I would say 24 hours would mean its done. Stick it in the fridge for 2 or 3 hours to get the yeast to completely settle down, or until brew day, then decant and pitch!

Kool, yeah looks like cottage cheese. Thanks for the responses. Just brewed a Porter that I am going to add Oaked Bourbon and Vanilla to the secondary.
Since this is normal for WLP002 I pitched it into my Porter.

You should see some of the crazy-floccuating belgian strains like WLP570, it looks like damn popcorn (actual size) formed in your beer!

Sorry to bring back an old thread, but I'm going to brew a St. Arnolds cloan this weekend and I have this yeast. Can someone let me know the easiest way to make a starter for this yeast? I don't have a stir plat or a flask just yet.

Chris

Just sanatize a container. Glass is better add boiled and cooled wort. Sanatize the yeast package before opening and toss it in when both are near the same temp.

Any jar of bottle will do as long as its sanatized. Cover with foil to keep the other stuff out.

Sorry to bring back an old thread, but I'm going to brew a St. Arnolds cloan this weekend and I have this yeast. Can someone let me know the easiest way to make a starter for this yeast? I don't have a stir plat or a flask just yet.

Chris

have a look at

Last edited by a moderator:
Back