Double IPA Da Fuzz Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

copper2hopper

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Omega DIPA (Conan)
Yeast Starter
YES
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
1.070-1.075
Final Gravity
1.010-1.015
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
4-5 @ 64---->9-10 @ 68
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 @ Basement Room Temp
Additional Fermentation
Some Sort of Peach Addiditon in 2ndry With dry hop added in the last 5 days
Tasting Notes
Dank, Hoppy, Hint of Peach on the back end
Mash @: 152 for 60 Minutes, Mash Out @ 170 for 10 Minutes

8.00 lb Thomas Fawcett & Sons Pearl Malt (Grain 50%)
4.00 lb 12.8 oz Briess Vienna (Grain 30%) 16lb Grain Bill
3.00 lb 3.2 oz Briess Munich 10L (20 %)

1.00 oz Amarillo [9.5%] (60 min) Hops 28.10 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo [9.5%] (15 min) Hops 13.95 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo [9.5%] (10 min) Hops 10.19 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo [9.5%] (5 min) Hops 5.60 IBU 7oz Total of Amarillo
1.00 oz Amarillo [9.5%] (1 min) Hops 1.21 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo [9.5%] (0 min)
1.00 oz Amaraillo [9.5%] (Dry Hop 5 days)

Primary at 64 degrees for the first 4-5 days then slowly ramp up to 68 for the last 9-10 days.

Secondary into new fermenter on top of peach puree for 14 days. The recommended amount is 1.5-2 pounds of puree for every gallon of wort which = 8.25-11lbs(assuming I end up with 1/2 gallon of trub loss in primary and start with 6 in primary)----On day 9 of secondary, throw in dry hops (I plan on using pellets) so they can set for 5 days of dry hopping.

Day 28---Keg/Bottle

Well for any of you who have had Da Fuzz from Pipeworks Brewing Co. outta Chicago and if you are like me then you will know that this beer is AWESOME! I would almost compare it to Zombie Dust with a smidge hint pinch of peach. This is going to be my 1.0 version to attempt to clone this one and the above is my attempted recipe. It's classified as an APA but it's a heavy 8% ABV. So to replicate that I'm shooting for that 1.070-75 OG range and hoping the DIPA attenuates really well to get it down to the 1.010-15 FG range. I know that's a hefty 80%+ attenuation but that's what the DIPA is for. I pulled the very basic APA grain bill from a APA guideline thread in here and went with that. As far as the hops go, it's a shot in the dark. I know the IBU's I have plugged in are higher than the recommended BJCP APA guideline but I love me some hop bombs and know that this one calls for a lot of Amarillo. As far as the peach flavoring goes, I'm not sure what to do yet. Maybe some extract during transfer into keg, but most likely racking beer over peach puree...just not sure yet. By all means if anyone has any suggestions for improvement on any part of this brew, please, let me know or just tell me if this recipe looks absolutely ridiculous......you won't hurt my feelings. This is only me second attempt at creating a new recipe in the 22 batches I have done of all grain. My system I brew with is BIAB (no sparge/squeeze like hell) with a keggle.

I received a very informative response from Pipeworks today in regards to this brew and they stated this

"The base malt is 2-row, red wheat, carapils and munich malt. It's not single hopped, we use some Citra as well, it's just intensely aroma and dry hopped with Amarillo. We also use ruby peaches (not white). Good luck!"

So....with this info, I went to work and came up with this now revised recipe to produce 6 gallons of wort to hopefully produce a full 5 gallons of beer after fermentation losses.

DA FUZZ CLONE 1.0

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Omega DIPA (Conan)
Yeast Starter: YES
Batch Size (Gallons): 6
Est. Original Gravity: 1.085
Est. Final Gravity: 1.025
IBU: 60
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 12
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 4-5 @ 64---->9-10 @ 68
Additional Fermentation: RUBY PEACHES! in 2ndry With dry hop added in the last 5 days
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14 @ Basement Room Temp
Tasting Notes: Dank, Hoppy, Hint of Peach on the back end

Mash @: 152 for 60 Minutes, Mash Out @ 170 for 10 Minutes

9.00 lb Thomas Fawcett & Sons Pearl Malt (49%)
7.00 lb Briess Red Wheat (38%) 18.5lb Grain Bill
1.50 lb Briess Munich 60L (8%)
1.00 lb Briess Carapils (5%)

1.00 oz Citra [12%] (60 min) Hops 32.33 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo [9.5%] (15 min) Hops 12.70 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo [9.5%] (10 min) Hops 9.28 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo [9.5%] (5 min) Hops 5.10 IBU 6oz Total of Amarillo
1.00 oz Amarillo [9.5%] (1 min) Hops 1.10 IBU 1oz Citra
1.00 oz Amarillo [9.5%] (0 min)
1.00 oz Amaraillo [9.5%] (Dry Hop 5 days)

Primary at 64 degrees for the first 4-5 days then slowly ramp up to 68 for the last 9-10 days.

Secondary into new fermenter on top of peach puree for 14 days. The recommended amount is 1.5-2 pounds of puree for every gallon of wort which = 8.25-11lbs(assuming I end up with 1/2 gallon of trub loss in primary and start with 6 in primary)----On day 9 of secondary, throw in dry hops (I plan on using pellets) so they can set for 5 days of dry hopping.

Day 28---Keg/Bottle

Today I took my first run at this one on a 8 gallon size scaled batch. Everything went smooth but came up 9 points shy of my estimated 1.086 OG and gotta 1.077. Oh well. It's happily already bubbling away with the Conan yeast (Omega DIPA) at a comfy 64 degrees.

Forgot to post. Last week was the two week mark and took this off primary and secondaried with the peach purée. It finished at 1.020 so we will see if it ferments out any further with this addition of the peach. In a couple more days I'm gonna add the Amarillo dry hops.

Well. So far this tastes like crap. I'll see if changes with time but it's not looking promising. Dumping it if it doesn't get better.

Ok so it's gotten much much better with a little time. My initial issue was the first 6-8 pours were all a cloudy mixture of peach purée and beer. That's all gone now and it's really clear. Tastes much better. Definitely not a clone but not bad for my first time using fruit in a secondary.

Back