Had a bad brew day.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBOGAN

Reaction score
So I had one of those everything has gone wrong brew days.Yesterday i brewed a American Blonde(sort of hybrid experimental recipe) and it resembles a lager rather than a blonde at least in SRM.I was shooting for a 6 and got a 17 which may be in part to the small amount of chocolate malt i added.My OG should have been around 1.067 instead fell around 1.057 but the wort sample was awesome.

Here is the bone head part on my behalf and i may be worrying about nothing at this point but i may have pitched a un viable pouch of yeast.Picked up a another pouch of Giga Yeast from my LHBS and the pouch was slighty expanded the guys at the shop said it should still be pitchable and so i went against my instinct and pitched it.Pitched around 4:30pm yesterday,checked this morning and no visible signs of anything really.Lucky for me i have a starter of wlp001 on the stir plate for a Rye PA i planned on brewing this afternoon.So I am crossing my fingers that i do not have to use my Rye Pa starter for my what i would like to call C.H.U.B(chocolate honey unadulterated blonde).:(

You should really give the yeast at least 72 hours before you consider repitching. I say make the Rye PA as planned and hit up your LHBS for a packet of dry yeast to keep on-hand for emergency use... be it this batch you are worried about or, if it turns out you don't need it for this batch, another one later on. Always best to have an extra couple of packets of yeast on hand just in case.

If you pitched the smack pack straight (no starter), I'd be willing to bet you'll start to see signs of activity by 4:30pm today. Use the 001 as intended!

I will at least give it 48 to 60 hours before i do anything.My only problem was that this is only the second time using Giga yeast so there is still some familiarity to gain with each strain.Even the guys at the HBS did not know for sure if a swollen pouch was okay or not but were sold that it was okay to pitch.Most likely i will get home and will see a krausen and just shake my head for being worried.

Latest posts

Back