Sorachi Ace in APA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bullshivit-brew

Reaction score
Anyone ever use it in an APA or any thing else for that matter? I never have and wounder about it? Thought about useing it amarillo centinial and summit together. what you think?

I have used it in my Miller Lite Clone. It makes for a nice lemony-citrus beer. Its good for summer.

I have considered what you are thinking. Cover all the citrus bases and add some summit as well. It has an orange tangerine aroma/taste. It would be good in that combination. Do a multi-late hop addition for added complexity!!

Wonder if there is a lime flavored hop.

Fruity Hops;

Lemon - Sorachi Ace
Grapefruit - Cascade
Orange - Summit
Grape - Nelson Sauvan (Its too weird)

Ya im doing a Ninkasi IPA clone that should have a nice citrus tang to it but was thinking about the next one and how to get more

I've had it in an IPA from Evan!. As others have said, it's a very lemony hop.

Schlenkerla, I'd add Amarillo to the list of grapefruit hops. I think that if used in high enough quantities that it imparts an even stronger grapefruit presence than Cascade does.

I've had it in an IPA from Evan!. As others have said, it's a very lemony hop.

Schlenkerla, I'd add Amarillo to the list of grapefruit hops. I think that if used in high enough quantities that it imparts an even stronger grapefruit presence than Cascade does.

I agree the amarillo and centennial seem to have that same grapefruit like flavor, if nothing else citrusy.

I swear, I once saw a hop that had a lime flavor... It seemed to be really obscure.

I use it in a summer blonde. It imparts a great lemon taste that is nice and crisp and great for the season. I am going to try it in an IPA as well.

I have a couple of opinions on Sorachi Ace. I really like this hop. It is quite fine in lagers, wheat, and other light beer styles. I personally would not mix it with the other citrusy hops. I have not tried it, just imagined the combined tastes in my mind, so take it for what it is worth. I'm afraid the the mix would just be to chaotic, along the lines of hey, this is great, so adding more would be even better, which sometimes ends disastrously. I would love to here from someone who has actually paired it with the one of the other C hops or Amarillo.

It seems to me, that it is better to pair it with the woodsy/earthy hops (which I do) sort of like in a lemon iced tea.

My other feeling is that the lemony flavors are not paired well with crystal/caramel malts. They strike me as going better with biscuity/bready flavors. Again I have not tried Sorachi Ace in a beer with a bunch of crystal malts. Again, I'd love to hear a report from someone who did. I've got too many other experiments I want to try

I've used it as a late hop addition in a wit, and I like the lemon accent with that. I used 1oz at 5min, but next time I'm going to use 2oz.

I think it would work well for an APA.

Ok I put this together what you think? I have an AB clone im gonna do preaty quick and think I will put this on that yeast cake.

I want to keep it on the lower end of bitter. Im not big on the big bitter IPA's so this is what I have so far.

I do agree that to much may be jsut that and not balance well but I will never know unless I try so tell me what you think

Citrus Bomb APA

OG 1.070
FG 1.017 (Gonna mash low temp will be more likw 1.011)
IBU 50
ABV 7.1-8.0
SRM 15*

Wyeast Pacman

8 lb American 2 row pale
3 lb Wheat Malt, Belgian
1/2 lb caramel/crysral-10L
1/2 Roasted Barley

.5oz Summit 60min
.5oz Citra hop 20min
.5oz Amarillo 5min
.5oz Centennial 5min
.5oz Citra 5min
.5oz Sorachi Ace 5min
.5oz Citra hop Dry Hop
.5oz Amarillo Dry Hop
.5oz Centennial Dry Hop
.5oz Sorachi Ace Dry Hop

I have a couple of opinions on Sorachi Ace. I really like this hop. It is quite fine in lagers, wheat, and other light beer styles. I personally would not mix it with the other citrusy hops. I have not tried it, just imagined the combined tastes in my mind, so take it for what it is worth. I'm afraid the the mix would just be to chaotic, along the lines of hey, this is great, so adding more would be even better, which sometimes ends disastrously. I would love to here from someone who has actually paired it with the one of the other C hops or Amarillo.

It seems to me, that it is better to pair it with the woodsy/earthy hops (which I do) sort of like in a lemon iced tea.

My other feeling is that the lemony flavors are not paired well with crystal/caramel malts. They strike me as going better with biscuity/bready flavors. Again I have not tried Sorachi Ace in a beer with a bunch of crystal malts. Again, I'd love to hear a report from someone who did. I've got too many other experiments I want to try

I used with Cascade, didn't think it clashed at all.

Drop down is not working??? https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f62/tasmanian-cascade-pale-ale-127870/

Ok I put this together what you think? I have an AB clone im gonna do preaty quick and think I will put this on that yeast cake.

I want to keep it on the lower end of bitter. Im not big on the big bitter IPA's so this is what I have so far.

I do agree that to much may be jsut that and not balance well but I will never know unless I try so tell me what you think

Citrus Bomb APA

OG 1.070
FG 1.017 (Gonna mash low temp will be more likw 1.011)
IBU 50
ABV 7.1-8.0
SRM 15*

Wyeast Pacman

8 lb American 2 row pale
3 lb Wheat Malt, Belgian
1/2 lb caramel/crysral-10L
1/2 Roasted Barley

.5oz Summit 60min
.5oz Citra hop 20min
.5oz Amarillo 5min
.5oz Centennial 5min
.5oz Citra 5min
.5oz Sorachi Ace 5min
.5oz Citra hop Dry Hop
.5oz Amarillo Dry Hop
.5oz Centennial Dry Hop
.5oz Sorachi Ace Dry Hop

Looks good!!! Does the grain bill really get 1.070 w/ 12lbs???? You get good efficiency????

I seems a bit light from my memory. 10.5# gets me 1.047 with 75%eff.

I think I had hopville set at 80% eff I have hit it before but who knows if I will this time :)

I just reset it for 73% eff that I know I can hit and it is a OG of 1.065 probably closer to what I will really get

Hey Schlenkerla you are close by you be up for a brew swap?

I'm in Cedar Rapids (Mon-Thurs) & Des Moines. Where is Keokuk? OK - way, way SE IA.

I'm open to swap but it looks like a cruise for either one of us. Are you ever in DM or CR?

never des not very often ceder rapids. you ever go to Iowa city? I head up there every now and then to hit johns grocery. Best beer selection in the state of Iowa. I can just mail it to you also

We could do the mail thing too. My selection is limited now that I am moving. I'd trade a Bomber of French Saison and/or a bottle of Cuvee Cider.

saison sounds good no rush I want to get this made and aged. Gonna have a Ninkasi clone ready in a month or so also. I have drank every thing else that I have made :( the cubberd is bair

OK - I have a about 3/4 case of bombers. They are from Aug-Sept 2008. 8.5% ABV and dry. I will save you one of these and a cider if you like cider. I forgot I also have a home brew club BW.

I like every thing Just bottled up some mead the other day. Were is the brew club. there is nothing here like that would be intrested

Along the lines of the discussion of citrusy hops ... I'll add that Simcoe gives a very grapefruity flavor. And much stronger then say, Cascade. Different flavor though, doesn't have the fresh grassy flavor of Cascade. Should be used in moderate amounts unless you're shooting for a hop bomb.

cheers

~r~

I like every thing Just bottled up some mead the other day. Were is the brew club. there is nothing here like that would be intrested

I'm part of the Pella Club & Des Moine IBU. My Pella club used to do big brews, 10 gallons of a big beer, everybody shows up to brew and split ingredients. Then we bottle together and split the beer. Last year we brewed the barleywine in May '08.

We also drink big beers during the activity.

Its fun and less costly not to mention you don't have 2 cases of BW.

I've cut back to 3 gal. batches on my barleywines and other big beers. I started running out of closet space. :) It takes awhile to go through those big ones.

~r~

I've cut back to 3 gal. batches on my barleywines and other big beers. I started running out of closet space. :) It takes awhile to go through those big ones.

~r~

True, one doesn't normally drink them as often or as many at a time, but that balances perfectly with the fact that they age well. Same with sours-beer seems to intuitively understand and meet our needs doesn't it?

Anyway, Sorachi is definitely on my list of hops to try. From what I've heard it seems like one could do some very interesting things with it.

Back