Camping beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wulfman

Reaction score
Soo I'm going camping the first of next month and wondering what should I make?? I'm bringing a jockey box and force carbonating.. soo I have a 3 weeks to make something tasty.. any recomendations or recipes? We love all beer styles

I would recommend a session ale so you can drink for a good amount of time once the sun goes down without getting too tanked.

Hmm a session cali common does sound tasty... but I might make it 6 abv... soo not too much session.

Mmm that citra recipe does look nice... hmmm but my fermeting temp has been kinda high in my house... I can possibly have a carboy wet t-shirt contest daily.. or towell. Haha. But I forgot to add.. I can't ferment too low a temp.. I can do the water/ice bath trick... but that might be too low

Hey Jay!!! I just realized I bought some random bottle caps from u guys via ebay.. small world

Mmm that citra recipe does look nice... hmmm but my fermeting temp has been kinda high in my house... I can possibly have a carboy wet t-shirt contest daily.. or towell. Haha. But I forgot to add.. I can't ferment too low a temp.. I can do the water/ice bath trick... but that might be too low
Dont think it will be too low, thats for sure.

Hey Jay!!! I just realized I bought some random bottle caps from u guys via ebay.. small world

Nice! Next time your up north stop in the store and say hi...Bring beer :D

3 week turn around I would do a wheat beer, any wheat. as they can be grain to keg in 3 weeks easy. Also they are good summer beers.

Jaybird said:
Dont think it will be too low, thats for sure.

Nice! Next time your up north stop in the store and say hi...Bring beer :D

Sounds good. Ill do that for sure! Question... does the 3 weeks mean force carbonating too??

Gregscsu said:
Pale ale, ie. SNPA clone

or

Cream ale
Sounds good, but I have some SNPA type beer already bottled I'm bringing... but a hoppy wheat does sound good...

Jaybird said:
It does for me....For sure! I do 14-16 days in primary and keg!

Cheers
Jay

Ok... Soo at the moment I might not have a jockey box available and not keg.. sooo I might end up bottling the beers... do u think I have enough time to bottle and carbonate too?

Ok... Soo at the moment I might not have a jockey box available and not keg.. sooo I might end up bottling the beers... do u think I have enough time to bottle and carbonate too?

Pitch a boatload of active yeast in primary ferment it out in FAST....transfer as soon as you hit FG. Maybe 5-7 days. Its a risk. But why not give it a shot. I am brewing this tomorrow myself. I am going to play with 6 of the 12 gallons and maybe pitch SD Super Yeast WLP090.

Cheers
Jay

Jaybird said:
Pitch a boatload of active yeast in primary ferment it out in FAST....transfer as soon as you hit FG. Maybe 5-7 days. Its a risk. But why not give it a shot. I am brewing this tomorrow myself. I am going to play with 6 of the 12 gallons and maybe pitch SD Super Yeast WLP090.

Cheers
Jay

What's a boatload? 2 vials? I don't have time to make a starter... and I'm brewing tomorrow morning

I do a fair amount of camping, and sessionable wheat beers are my favorites to take. 21A Hell or High Watermelon is probably my favorite warm-weather camping beer - I just started home brewing, so I always look for something good that's available canned.

Ok here it goes.. I have 6.5lb 2 row, 6.5lb w. Wheat, .5lb c20, .5lb c10, 1lb rice hulls, wyeast kolsch, 1.5 oz sorachi and 1oz cascade... I'm trying to make 8 gallon batch, depending on my final og... I also have some dme to fix gravity if needed... crossing my fingers. Thanks everyone for the info!

I would suggest against the kolsch yeast if at all possible. Not exactly ideal for a quick turnaround brew, especially if you aren't making a starter. Go dry safeale 04 or 05 or notty instead....

Hmmm uh oh... I have nott and saff on hand... but I have a smack pack of kolsch... and already smacked it a while ago..

What if I pitch both one kolcsh and one dry?... its coming down to the wire... only about 20 min til cool down time

Sorry if I am too late, but I think that if your number one priority is to have a drinkable beer in three weeks, you would be best served to use a good healthy pitch of yeast. That could just be one pack of dry yeast, but since you've already smacked the kolsch, you may want to just throw that in too, although I'd imagine that the cell count of the dry would overpower the kolsch. A waste of 6-8 bucks on the yeast IMHO.

My best case suggestion? Pitch only the dry yeast on this batch and then brew again within the next week and use the kolsch yeast there. That way you should have some time to let that beer ferment and age properly. Nothing beats a nice kolsch in the summer!

Just reread that you are looking to do 8 gallons. If this is still the case, get as much yeast as you can in that brew!

Probably too late, but why not pitch the dry yeast and use the Kolsch on another small batch whose purpose is just to harvest the yeast? That one you can let sit until ready, then harvest the yeast via washing....then you will have enough Kolsch yeast for a bunch (4-6) batches.

Thanks for the help, but I ended up pitching some dry yeast and using the kolsch. Hope it turns out.

My OG was 1.056... I ended up with about 7 gallons. And they were bubbling in the first 2-3 hours... soo off to a good start

soo I have a 3 weeks to make something tasty.. any recomendations or recipes?

Seriously, your beer deserves to be given more than 3 weeks to be at its best. I am not being glib or condescending or trying to be a smart-ass here. I think you should bite the bullet and take commercial beer, and take your homebrew on the next trip so it has time to be what it should be.

Bernie Brewer said:
Seriously, your beer deserves to be given more than 3 weeks to be at its best. I am not being glib or condescending or trying to be a smart-ass here. I think you should bite the bullet and take commercial beer, and take your homebrew on the next trip so it has time to be what it should be.

Ya I usually keep mine in carboys minimum of 3 weeks.. not the maximum.. but we will see. I split the batches in different carboys... soo maybe I will just take one... its a wheat anyways... soo young is the way to go. Thanks tho

3 weeks can definitely be done. I brewed an Amarillo Blonde on 4/21 and the keg was tapped and kicked on Friday night during a tailgate.... I do think that bottling will make this a little harder though, I had the advantage of leaving in primary for about 17 days then transferring to keg and force carbing at about 30 psi for a few days.

It was a hit at the tailgate, but I know that it could have been better if I would have waited a few more weeks of conditioning. Which is why I always brew 10 gallon batches!

Soo update for anyone listening.. my og was 1.056 and reading now 1.014. Tastes good... but may have put too much citrus peel... I can feel it will mellow out, but time will tell!

Thanks all for the help and info

Soo letting my beer mellow out and properly condition.. but it seems to have a bit of a bitter taste due to the rinds I added. Any recomendations ppl have the mellow this flavor out?? This is just a thought, but could I add a sour yeast to hopefully mellow out the bitter??

I love my homebrew ... And I love micro IPA's, but for some reason nothing goes better with camping than brass monkeys. Ice cold 40's of Old English - drink 1/3rd, top off with orange juice. Sounds gross, but terrific around the camp fire. Don't knock it until you've tried it.

Back