Mini Mash Cooler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewsmith

Home brewing moogerfooger
Reaction score
In another thread there was a discussion of doing partial/mini mashes with extract. For all of the extract brewers out there who don't want all the all-grain setup, but still want to mash a few pounds of grain this may be the way to go.

http://www.igloo-store.com/product_detail.asp?T1=IGL+LEG+2G+BLUE&HDR=personbeverage

It holds 2 gallons and would be perfect for those recipes that are extract, but include a pound or so of 2-row and other specialty grain, especially munich since just steeping won't do the trick. It just needs a little modification, i.e. valve and some sort of false bottom/SS braid/manifold. It will give you the feel of all-grain, but without the need for big pots and burners, and would probably be more efficient that just a mesh grain bag.

link doesnt seem to be working for me

*edit, site must be down, i tried googling it, and it gets hung up

worked here

and with that push button spigot you can easily convert it to a drain with valve like this:

tubing%20012.jpg

inside
tubing%20005.jpg

http://www.madawg.net/pix/dryrun_ag/tubing 012.jpg

I got a 5-gallon Rubbermaid water cooler from Target ($20)
Also bought a stainless steel splatter screen ($5) for use as a false bottom.
Sunday morning I mashed 2# of 2-row and 3# of specialty malt in it...it worked like a charm.
Jeff

MashTun.JPG

I second the idea to get the 5gal right away. It's not much more expensive and you can easily mash those 2-4lb of grain for mini/partial mashes. In this case you don't need the big burner and pot yet, but you have something that you can also use for AG batches if you want to do so later.

Kai

Back