Joe's Ancient Orange Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bottled both the chipotle and habanero meads today.

- Chipotle has some interesting light chocolate and raisin notes, but I have no idea what chipotle the store used, so could be right. A bit of warmth, from like a good chili heat. OG1.112, FG1.022
- Habanero is deceptively clean on aroma, but when all that habanero fruit flavor hits your tongue you realize you might be in trouble. A sip and my throat was tingling for 10 minutes. OG1.108, FG1.018

They both dropped right at 90 points, kinda neat since they both came from same store here in town. That puts them at just under 12%. I'll let these sit for a long time and come back to them.

(Edit, well sorry, seems I cannot up load attachments again for some reason.)

Decided to give this a go today. Used Arizona wild flower honey and tangerines. It was a nice afternoon project spent with my Valentine��

Finally bottled batch started back first of September (found my notes). FG of 1.048. Seems a bit high but really not 100% on the SG. It's pretty warm to taste. I get the orange pith on back end. Bottled will sit til Christmas so it should mellow quite a bit by then. The cellar will keep it out of sight, out of mind.

So I have a question, I think I did something wrong...
So I started my mead on 11/26/15
My hydrometer readings were as follows:
Potential alcohol 22%
Gravity 1.16
Balling 36

I took the readings today 2/15/16
Potential alcohol, just under 0
Gravity is at 1.0
Balling is at 0

It is still cloudy, I haven't seen it bubble in ages. It has kind of a sharp taste, no where near as sugary as it originally was, it is definitely alcohol though.
Did I foul something up? Should I do anything? Let it sit longer? Thoughts?
Thanks!

So I have a question, I think I did something wrong...
So I started my mead on 11/26/15
My hydrometer readings were as follows:
Potential alcohol 22%
Gravity 1.16
Balling 36

I took the readings today 2/15/16
Potential alcohol, just under 0
Gravity is at 1.0
Balling is at 0

It is still cloudy, I haven't seen it bubble in ages. It has kind of a sharp taste, no where near as sugary as it originally was, it is definitely alcohol though.
Did I foul something up? Should I do anything? Let it sit longer? Thoughts?
Thanks!

Not enough info to say if you screwed up. But I would be really surprised if bread yeast knocked a specific gravity from 1.160 to 1.000. It should have passed its alcohol tolerance some place around 10% at best. That would leave a final gravity of 1.083. I suspect you calculated your initial gravity incorrectly. How many lb of honey per gallon did you add? You should get around 35 points of gravity per lb of honey, although I have read of as much as 40 points (http://www.brew-dudes.com/specific-gravity-of-honey-water-solution/546)

Not enough info to say if you screwed up. But I would be really surprised if bread yeast knocked a specific gravity from 1.160 to 1.000. It should have passed its alcohol tolerance some place around 10% at best. That would leave a final gravity of 1.083. I suspect you calculated your initial gravity incorrectly. How many lb of honey per gallon did you add? You should get around 35 points of gravity per lb of honey, although I have read of as much as 40 points (http://www.brew-dudes.com/specific-gravity-of-honey-water-solution/546)

Started with 3 lbs of honey and I had used champagne yeast cause that's what I had originally read to use before I saw the recipe for JOAM.

First time brewing. So I'm learning...

Started with 3 lbs of honey and I had used champagne yeast cause that's what I had originally read to use before I saw the recipe for JOAM.

Champagne yeast commonly is accepted to have 18% ABV tolerance.

Champagne yeast commonly is accepted to have 18% ABV tolerance.

I've pushed EC1118 Champagne yeast up to 18% without any trouble. Just occasional swirling of the carboy to rouse the yeast. Bread yeast should indeed peter out before 18%.

If you had three lb of honey in a one gallon batch the starting gravity should have been closer to 1.116 than 1.160. But if you were using a 1 gal vessel and left a little room so actually only had 3 to 3.5 qt of actual volume the 1.600 would be possible.

In any case with the champagne yeast it could go as high as 22% on a good day so it is very possible you are down to 1.000 specific gravity.

So it this just a mead you made or it is actually the JAOM recipe? Since you didn't see the bread yeast part I assume this is a traditional mead. In that case I would rack if off the yeast leas. If there is much head space in the new vessel, top up to minimize air, put on an airlock and let it sit. Put in a cool dark place and check next month to make sure the airlock is still full. Give it 6 months and if clear bottle.

So it this just a mead you made or it is actually the JAOM recipe? Since you didn't see the bread yeast part I assume this is a traditional mead. In that case I would rack if off the yeast leas. If there is much head space in the new vessel, top up to minimize air, put on an airlock and let it sit. Put in a cool dark place and check next month to make sure the airlock is still full. Give it 6 months and if clear bottle.

I used Red Star Champagne yeast with the rest of the JOAM recipe.

So when I rack it into a new bottle, and need to top off, do I just add more distilled water? Like I said, new to this...

I used Red Star Champagne yeast with the rest of the JOAM recipe.

So when I rack it into a new bottle, and need to top off, do I just add more distilled water? Like I said, new to this...

Depends on the amount needed. But yes, at 20+% ABV dilution is not going to be a big problem. if it is only 10% or so of volume then I would top off with distilled water. If it is more I would look to find a better sized vessel or look at using glass marbles to make up the volume.

When I make something I plan on letting bulk age I try to make just enough that I can rack into my next smaller container so I don't have to top off. But it doesn't always work. For example I have a 3 gal carboy so I make JOAM in 3.3 gal batches in a 5 gal car boy so I can rack to the 3 gal after it clears. If there is a little left over I am forced to sip that.

Depends on the amount needed. But yes, at 20+% ABV dilution is not going to be a big problem. if it is only 10% or so of volume then I would top off with distilled water. If it is more I would look to find a better sized vessel or look at using glass marbles to make up the volume.

When I make something I plan on letting bulk age I try to make just enough that I can rack into my next smaller container so I don't have to top off. But it doesn't always work. For example I have a 3 gal carboy so I make JOAM in 3.3 gal batches in a 5 gal car boy so I can rack to the 3 gal after it clears. If there is a little left over I am forced to sip that.

Oh, yeah... "Forced" I'm sure. :cross: ;)

Finally labeled 2015 JAOM and Rhubarb wine

guestaccess.aspx

So this is the first mead I have made. I waited for my primary fermentation and a little extra time and it still looks a little cloudy. To clarify it faster can i cold crash it?

So this is the first mead I have made. I waited for my primary fermentation and a little extra time and it still looks a little cloudy. To clarify it faster can i cold crash it?

Same here, I started my JAOM on New Year's Eve. Today, I looked in on it and, while much lighter in color since I last looked in early February, it's still cloudy and fermenting at a bubble rate of once every 30 seconds.

I know Joe said it should clear spontaneously after 2 months. Additionally, it's been extraordinarily cold this winter and there really aren't many warm places big enough to store a one-gallon carboy (even though the carboy is wrapped in a blanket).

Hello, getting a little concerned: POSITIVES - the mead is still bubbling away and much lighter in color than when I started. NEGATIVES: today, I used a wine thief and took a quick sample - nice aroma and flavor, but kind of a "stinging" mouthfeel. I reminds me of unpasteurized OJ that's gone and naturally fermented. Is this a bad thing or just the orange pieces starting to ferment as well? Either way, really considering racking it this week and dropping a Campden in the second carboy.
Advice please!

Yooper, if one were to use Smarties (miniature oranges) how many would you use? I'm thinking 2-3 per gallon batch

I have some at home now and, by weight, yeah, 3 would be about the same amount as the navel orange I dropped into my gallon.

Hello, getting a little concerned: POSITIVES - the mead is still bubbling away and much lighter in color than when I started. NEGATIVES: today, I used a wine thief and took a quick sample - nice aroma and flavor, but kind of a "stinging" mouthfeel. I reminds me of unpasteurized OJ that's gone and naturally fermented. Is this a bad thing or just the orange pieces starting to ferment as well? Either way, really considering racking it this week and dropping a Campden in the second carboy.
Advice please!

Patience is the key. Cover it, put it in a closet, do whatever ya gotta to leave it alone. It doesn't need our help to do its thing. Follow the directions in the first post, and go from there.

Patience is the key. Cover it, put it in a closet, do whatever ya gotta to leave it alone. It doesn't need our help to do its thing. Follow the directions in the first post, and go from there.

Understood. I'm concerned because when I checked and sampled back in February, that harsh sting wasn't there. I'm worried the orange is starting to ferment and will add off-flavors to the mead.:(

Understood. I'm concerned because when I checked and sampled back in February, that harsh sting wasn't there. I'm worried the orange is starting to ferment and will add off-flavors to the mead.:(

Meads do that sometimes. It goes away with time. I've had a mess 100% drinkable at 3 weeks only to get undrinkable at 3 months and then clear back up after a couple years and be quite nice now. I think there are compounds that volitize and then have to revolitize to something palatable.

Also, this is a tried and true recipe. Just give it time as the instructions say and you'll be fine. RDWHAHB

After my brother and I tried our hand at a dry Metheglin last year we wanted to go with something a bit sweeter and fruitier.

We decided to give this a try, though we did vary the recipe a bit. I've been drinking Rock and Rye (recipe is about half-way down) and this seemed like a good mead to modify for a similar theme.

What we settled on:

5 Gallon Batch
18 lbs. fresh local clover honey
8 smallish Blood Oranges (for color, about 3-4 lbs worth)
Zest from 1 Lemon
1 bag of sweet/tart dried cherries (instead of raisins, probably 50-60 cherries)
4 sticks of cinnamon
2 whole cloves
1 Star Anise
1/2 oz of Horehound

This is fermentation after ~36 hours, looks like it's taking on some color from the blood oranges and cherries:

9EjrxmU.jpg

We're considering soaking some rye whiskey into oak cubes and adding them to secondary before bottling.

Finally got around to bottling the batch I started in November (post). After two months, I racked once, out of the fermentor into a bucket, cleaned the fermentor (only have one three gallon carboy), then back into the fermentor and topped up with two bottles of the last batch. Yield was 15.5 bottles, and it came out wonderfully clear and delicious.

IMG_20160328_190324849.jpg

Last edited:
Hi everyone!

My husband and I started brewing three batches of JAO at the beginning of January: 2 x 1 gallons (one with cinnamon, the other without) and 1 x 6 gallon with cinnamon. Here are pictures of the two 1 gallon batches.

Without cinnamon

With cinnamon

I tried a sip of the 1 gallon with cinnamon, and whew, it's strong! You guys weren't kidding about the cloves! It has such potential, though, and we have a tasting bottle marked for 6 weeks out. I can't wait to try it again.

Speaking of not being able to wait, our 6 gallon batch is very nearly clear. We plan to rack it off into another 6 gallon carboy to make bottling easier. Then we'll be starting the blueberry vanilla variation in the 6 gallon and several 1 gallon variations (I think we might start with grapefruit, though tangelo is very intriguing).

Any recommendations on what 1 gallon variations we should try first, or tips and tricks to getting the berry-to-spice ratios correct?

My JOAM has been crystal clear for several weeks now and some of the raisins have dropped, but none of the oranges. Having never done a mead before and not wanting to rush things, should I still wait to bottle? Should I rack into a secondary before bottling?

It's been "two months and a couple of days", I'm debating between bottling, and adding a little champagne yeast and racking to a new jug for a while. If I bottle could I add more bread yeast to carbonate? The airlock stopped bubbling a little while ago, so I don't believe it will carbonate without a little help.

It's been "two months and a couple of days", I'm debating between bottling, and adding a little champagne yeast and racking to a new jug for a while. If I bottle could I add more bread yeast to carbonate? The airlock stopped bubbling a little while ago, so I don't believe it will carbonate without a little help.

Technically this isn't supposed to carbonate. The alcohol is at levels that the bread yeast just cannot handle anymore, that is why they stop and leave a sweet mead.

If you add a different yeast, you are not going to have JOAM anymore. I would expect it to just chew through everything else and now you have regular metheglin and you'll have kill yeast and back sweeten.

Back