burnt tasting beer gave me a headache

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

croakerj

Reaction score
Brewed an extract Irish red. It had some roasted specialty grain in it but that was not the what I was tasting. This brew was the only one I actually used tap water with. Where does a burnt vandals taste come from?

I am pretty sure that is what it was. That stuff is no good at all. Had to dump of all.

Chlorine won't give you headaches but it will make the beer taste like band aids. What you had was fusel alcohol from fermenting warm, it will give you nasty headaches after just a couple beers.

Right, I kept the temp at 68-70f but that men's it could have been as high as 78 during fermentation. But now when I smell the burnt bandaid smell I get a headache.
Lessons learned...

If the tap water is OK otherwise, you can use campden to knock out the chlorine/chloramine. One tablet is enough to treat 20 gallons. Just crush it up, mix it with the water and you're good to go.

I'll try that on a test batch. Waters good otherwise I have to add a little gypsum is all. Thanks zachattack

Back