What makes a homebrewer advanced?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The answer to the OP's question lies somewhere along this path. You be the judge. ( Although I thought TyTaniums response was the best)

I've got the keezer and the microscope. Woohoo, looks like a conical fermentor is in my immediate future. I'm stoked!

A-qUFv-CcAA0wDl.jpg:large

I still think one doesn't need $10,000 worth of equipment to be "advanced". Just make great beer out of imagineering & study. My 2c anyway...

The closest thing to advanced I can come up with is demonstrating that you understand the basics enough to repeatedly put out high quality, commercial level beers. Meanwhile, when something goes wrong, you can attribute it to some shortcut you took that you knew you shouldn't have. Most importantly, it's the realization that you never really know anything.

Talking about some imaginary skill level tiers is mostly irrelevant, but in reality, the homebrew community has its fair share of dick waving. How many entries is the AHA expecting this year? Personally, I don't have any goals of being labeled an authority on brewing or being highly regarded like that but having one of my beers place on the National stage is something I do look forward to.

Yeah,I guess there is some oneupsmanship involved here as well. Can't avoid it. Fathead's brew pub has a beer comp around here I might enter some time. Depends on if I have what I think is a great beer ready in the fridge in time. At least the entries can be dropped off local. Might be fun...

I still think one doesn't need $10,000 worth of equipment to be "advanced". Just make great beer out of imagineering & study. My 2c anyway...
Yeah. I haven't been homebrewing for as long as some of you, but came in when it was still more of a DIY hobby. Everyone sharing ideas and skills to make the best beer possible for a reasonable amount of money. My opinion; if you spend that kind of money on a brew system, you're not a Homebrewer, you're a really bad businessman.

A MoreBeer catalog came in the mail yesterday. Good thing I was reading in the bathroom. Some of the prices made me $hit. :cross:

edit to ask:
Do people really buy that stuff or is it just there for show?

My LHBS guy was really pushing me to enter a cream ale last summer. He was certain I would have won but I have no urge to enter comps or have people fawn over my beer. I brew my beer for myself and I think the definition of a advanced brewer should be "One who looks forward to and enjoys drinking his own beer"

Besides it was ten bucks to enter and I make 6 gallons of it for ten bucks. I could have a award on the wall or another batch in the fermenter. Guess what I chose:ban:

Right, I was just goofing with that picture above. I do think it's cool though.
Yeah,I know. But see the response below for my sentiments every time I look at that cool bling...
Yeah. I haven't been homebrewing for as long as some of you, but came in when it was still more of a DYI hobby. Everyone sharing ideas and skills to make the best beer possible for a reasonable amount of money. My opinion; if you spend that kind of money on a brew system, you're not a Homebrewer, you're a really bad businessman.

A MoreBeer catalog came in the mail yesterday. Good thing I was reading in the bathroom. Some of the prices made me $hit. :cross:
My response as well...smelled of rotten pmpkins stuffed with dead carp. :drunk:

edit to ask:
Do people really buy that stuff or is it just there for show?

i think there is a lot of modestly in this thread and whilst this is a good thing, i do think its ok to consider yourself advanced. to me an advanced homebrewer is one who is competant enough to complete a beer on his/her system without having to reference a book or the internet. Or someone who can reasonably predict an outcome based on the input variables. Someone who is no longer a novice, and more than merely competant.

that said, does it matter? i have been brewing and studing brewing for two years now, i wouldn't call myself an advanced homebrewer, but i might allow myself to be called a confident homebrewer. hopefully in two years i will be an accomplished homebrewer.

I agree with the common thought of "you can always learn more/you are never done improving" - But, if I had to identify the hallmark of what I think an "advanced" brewer is -

CONSISTENCY. When you get to the point that you can nail a recipe time after time after time and turn out the same great product, when you can brew a beer and KNOW which variable you need to alter next time to get the beer you want, and then do it ...... To me, if you can do those things - you are an advanced brewer. Not to say that you can't get better, but you have reached the point where you are better than the vast majority.
This is my goal..... If/when I attain it, I will feel comfortable with the "label" of advanced.

To me, an advanced brewer is the person that realizes that if it wasn't for the Great Magnet giving them the ability, health and strength to make beer. They'd be nothing.

Consistency is definitely a goal.

"Experienced" instead of "advanced." That is a good reframe.

Consistency is definitely a goal.

"Experienced" instead of "advanced." That is a good reframe.
Na. Someone could have 20 years experience brewing with Mr Beer pre hopped kits. :cross:

(pc edit: not that there's anything wrong with that)

My old boss had an expression about some of the people coming in looking for jobs, "20 years experience, one day at a time."

Back