I found some tasty Lacto B. and Brett. How do I keep it alive?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeTech

Reaction score
My mother is an avid caner. This year she flash pasteurized some late harvest concord grapes and 1 out of 50 fermented, and it's tasty! Mouth puckerily sour with no barnyard aroma.

I'm planning developing a culture and souring a Belguim Brown I have in the pipeline, What's the best way to keep a starter of these bugs?

Since it took 4-6Mos for the can to build pressure I probably have Lacto B and Brett right? As of now my best plan is to feed a trough of this stuff every 4 mos with some dextrin/sucrose mix and run off a bit when I need it... good idea?

Awesome Thanks! Great resource.

I'm going to feed it some LME and dextrose and keep it at cool cellar temps to slow the growth.

I didn't want to be a (yeast) rancher, but when a cow wanders into your yard what are you going to do?

Botulism brown

Haha, good name, but I'm still alive and if it was C. botulinum I wouldn't be (that and I wouldn't have tried it cause it'd smell like poop).

It's got a nice looking pellicle so I figured brett or lacto b, probably shielded in a semi-dried grape due to the late harvest and the flash. Or I've got a rare spore forming lacto B culture which would be neato.

Just based on the timeline, acidity, and taste. It's definitely slow growing, once I amplify it a bit I'll wiped a gel and see if I can get some pics.

Just based on the timeline, acidity, and taste. It's definitely slow growing, once I amplify it a bit I'll wiped a gel and see if I can get some pics.

Cool! I'm still trying to avoid getting a microscope, I'm bad enough already. ;)

Cool! I'm still trying to avoid getting a microscope, I'm bad enough already. ;)

Lucky the gf is a science teacher.. You would think that means I get to borrow her equipment, but more often then not it just mean I have 2 excuses to buy stuff. :)

I fed it a 1/2 Gal of 1.030G LME and dextrose on the 15th and it's already down to 1.005G, and still really tasty, Sour, acidic with a clean bite. The PH dropped to 4.2, I'll probably split it and feed again once it hits a PH 3.8.

Back