Bought hops in bulk, how to store?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zach1288

Reaction score
I bought hops in bulk and have 2oz left over that I'm going to dry hop with in 3 weeks. How should I store these hops until I'm ready to add them to the fermenter? Can I just put them in a zip lock and throw them in the freezer?

Thanks,
Zach

A couple ounces stored for a couple weeks are perfectly fine in a ziplock bag in the freezer. As said above, squeeze out as much air as possible and forget about it.

When you start buying pounds of hops that you intend to store for 12 months+, you'll want to look at vacuum bags, or vacuum sealed mason jars.

For a couple weeks though, yes, zip lock.

I thought I read somewhere that temperature isn't that important for storage provided the hops have been vaccuum-packed or sealed in nitrogen. Many (but not all) of my hops are stored in the freezer; I wonder if they all should be (I tend to have a lot on hand).

I thought I read somewhere that temperature isn't that important for storage provided the hops have been vaccuum-packed or sealed in nitrogen. Many (but not all) of my hops are stored in the freezer; I wonder if they all should be (I tend to have a lot on hand).

Chemical reactions occur 2x as fast for ever 10C jump in temperature. (rough rule of thumb)

The average freezer sits at -18C. Room temp is 20C. You're looking at roughly 1600% increase in the time it takes chemical reactions to occur (oxidation, staling, etc).

Those are total off the cuff numbers, but yes temperature definitely matters. Hops will oxidize in a hurry if left out in the open, so ya, a sealed bag is most important, but you can really extend the life of your hops if you keep them in the freezer.

When I ordered some hops in 2 oz. increments from MoreBeer, they came in these thick foil packets that have a ziploc type sealer on them on the inside once you break the outer seal. I usually just store short term hops I'm going to dry hop with in those. If don't have immediately plans, I'll just put them in a little foodsaver pack.

Don't buy in bulk unless you either hop the **** out of your beer the day you open the pack or like fishstick and deer steak dry hop ipa. I have about 8oz of peas and carrots cascade now.

Ziplock and freezer will not work. I buy little pouches of four oz or less now. I don't own a foodsaver.

Don't buy in bulk unless you either hop the **** out of your beer the day you open the pack or like fishstick and deer steak dry hop ipa. I have about 8oz of peas and carrots cascade now.

Ziplock and freezer will not work. I buy little pouches of four oz or less now. I don't own a foodsaver.

Maybe you should buy one if all your hops get ruined every time you use them. No offense, but "don't buy hops in bulk" isn't really good advice when its predicated on your personal refusal to take the steps necessary to keep them fresh.

mooshimanx said:
Maybe you should buy one if all your hops get ruined every time you use them. No offense, but "don't buy hops in bulk" isn't really good advice when its predicated on your personal refusal to take the steps necessary to keep them fresh.

If you reread the post, you will note the most important part was my cautionary tale about using ziplock bags in lieu of a food saver. So yes, it is good advice to avoid purchasing bulk bags of hops without adequate means to ensure their freshness unless you like fish and chicken patty beer.

If you reread the post, you will note the most important part was my cautionary tale about using ziplock bags in lieu of a food saver. So yes, it is good advice to avoid purchasing bulk bags of hops without adequate means to ensure their freshness unless you like fish and chicken patty beer.

The original poster was asking about storing 2 oz. of hops for long enough to dry hop an already fermenting beer.

I use the heavy ziploc freezer bags and straw method and have never noticed any "freezer flavors" being picked up by the hops. I do get pellet hops, so maybe leaf is more susceptible to this.

Back