Mango nectar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgod4520

Reaction score
I'm trying to make a mango-flavored beer, and given the relatively mild flavor and high cost of the fruit, I was thinking about using mango nectar. I found on google that mango nectar has about 31g of sugar per 8 oz. serving, and I was thinking about using about 24 oz. of juice. Has anybody used this stuff in the past, and if so would you have any recommendations on amount/brand or maybe using mango flavoring instead?

My recipe looks something like this

1 tablespoon gypsum

.75 lbs. gambrinus honey malt steeped
.25 lbs. special B steeped

6.6 lbs muntons light liquid malt extract
1 lb. muntons amber malt extract
Maybe .5 lbs of light brown sugar
24 oz. mango nectar added to carboy

.5 oz. citra at 60 minutes
.5 oz. citra at 30
.5 oz. citra at 10

dry hop with another .5 oz of citra
WLP500 Trappist Ale Yeast

Mango is a hard flavor to work with. I just recently finished up a mango wheat which involved about 7lbs of mango and the flavor barely came out. I too also used citra hops for their "mango/citrus" addition but only for bittering. I think the flavor and aroma hops might not help a lot and just take away from the natural flavor.

I feel like a lot of the necatars are more sugar than flavor. I was pondering buying a lb or 2 of dried organic mangoes and shredding and boiling/mashing them (not sure yet which is better, I'm pretty new to this) to create a mango beer. Have you looked into this option?

Re: favoring organic, regardless of your food preferences, I find that the organic dried mango strips that I've bought have been consistently more flavorful and sweeter than regular dried mangoes, and for the most part those I've found aren't dried via a syrup bath so their flavor is more pronounced.

Check some specialty markets and see if you can't find some cans of pureed mango. 100% mango no added sugar. I used 1 can in 5 gallons of mango wheat and the flavor was there. There was a lot of sludge at the bottom but it worked.

I made a saison with amarillo and citra and it had a really defined smooth mango flavour, I really enjoyed it as did others. Made a 7% beer far too easy to drink though.

Back