My E-HERMS build pix

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sambogi76

Reaction score
3212-setup.jpg

3217-control-box.jpg

3218-control-box-guts.jpg

3219-control-box.jpg

3216-hlt-hex.jpg

HLT, HEX I used a 5500W element @220V
3215-hlt-hex-out.jpg

HEX inlet (top) outlet (bottom)
3214-mlt.jpg

MLT with bottom drain
3213-mlt-fb.jpg

This may be a unique way of attaching a FB, I used a 2" ss nipple and drilled holes around it to allow proper draining (attaching it to the bottom drain), I had to drill out the center hole out bigger in the FB so I could fit it threw the other side of the 2" nipple, then I used a locknut to hold the FB down and a cap to keep the grains from going threw the other side of the nipple.
3220-mlt-fb.jpg

I did a simple test yesterday using just water to see how things worked, I can heat 15 gallons in ~45 minutes and this thing looks like a can easily maintain my temps with ease, and I can ramp up to mash out temps from 152 to 165 in 5 minutes using ~1 GPM:rockin:!!!
Thanks bobbyM for the sight tubes (they work great!), bargain fittings, and everyone that helped here on HBT.

It may not win a beauty contest or the bling contest here, but I think it is going to be 100% functional and I no longer have to worry about falling mash temps.

Are you going to agitate your hlt water? I found I needed to in my herms setup. Also, at 1gpm, I think you will get about a 1 degree temp rise per minute. At least that is what i have seen in most setups at that rate.

Are you going to agitate your hlt water? I found I needed to in my herms setup. Also, at 1gpm, I think you will get about a 1 degree temp rise per minute. At least that is what i have seen in most setups at that rate.

No agitation necessary, after testing I found that only if their was a huge difference in HLT TEMP and MLT temp (I'm talking about 50-100 F). And during a mash I will never see this. And I have checked the temps at 2 inch depth of my HLT and it was in sync with my probe that was ~15" in depth of the water level (no stratification). I tested the @#$% out of this thing to make me prepared for my first brew day with this.

And 2nd, you may be right, I have seen that as a norm around here too. It may be something completely different when I have some crushed grain in the MLT instead of just water, but I'm not sure how many people who got those #'s had uninsulated MLTs, this could drastically change the time it would take to heat it up. Their is a couple of variable that can change this time...

on your pwr in side.. what are you using to seperate your 120 from 240??? shows that simple does work.. now if i can get that through my own head and quit spending more and money i could finish my setup also.. might need to do temp setup to get up and runnign eherms

Latest posts

Back