Sealing the spigot hole on a plastic fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prolific

Reaction score
I originally had a hole drilled in my True Brew bucket for a spigot because I thought I'd be doing bottling. However, I quickly moved on to kegging and have no need for the spigot. I figured there was no harm in just leaving it there, but I was very very wrong.

The plastic spigot on the outside started to bow a little. I checked my temp controlled fridge last night to find that my plastic fermenter had leaked about 2.5 gallons of my precious Dogfish Head 60 min IPA clone into the bottom of the fridge. Since all i had was my full carboy, i had to quickly transfer the wheat beer that was in my carboy into a keg. I attempted to fix the spigot problem but only made it worse... much worse. So here I was, sitting and watching my precious beer leak all over the floor while my wheat was transferring.

I eventually salvaged only about 2 of my 5 gallons into the carboy.

My question is how I can go about sealing the spigot hole on the True brew bucket. After I take out the spigot, would it be best to just use a stopper or something or is there a better option to plug that hole so i can just use it as a normal fermenter without worries of leakage?

Thanks,
Paul

You are probably not going to get a better device than the spigot as it has a gasket and lock nut to keep it in place. Once the beer was out were you able to determine the problem? Maybe the lock nut was loose or over tightened? If you can't easily fix the problem by playing with the spigot I would toss the bucket.

I think those holes are 7/8". You could get a coupler and a couple of caps but you'll still have the issues of leaks if it becomes loose.

I have thought about this as I have a couple of buckets with spigots on them and I hate the spigots. Best thing I have decided is just to buy new buckets and use these as sani buckets.

I overtightened a spigot once and actually cracked the threaded part. Took me forever to figure it out because when I took it out of the bucket I couldn't see the where it had cracked. Replaced the spigot and all was good. Cheers!!!

I wouldn't recommend sealing the spigot though. You need to be able to take it off to clean.

Turns out the spigot had a huge crack at the base of the threads. I guess that's what you would expect from cheap plastic.

2wrjfjl.jpg

So now all I want to use this for is a primary fermenter, and so I have no need for the spigot anymore. I'd prefer to have a more permanent cap than just a spigot that could get bumped and cracked again. Would some sort of rubber stopper work?

I still haven't figured out if this a joke thread or not, but we're a month a way from April 1st so what the hell...I'll bite.

A tube of silicone sealant as referenced is around $5 or more. A rubber stopper will run you at least a few bucks (but still has to be sanitized and you still run the risk of leaks or accidentally knocking it our while full).

Or you could spend $8 on a new fermentation bucket with no hole and no issues of stoppers, leaking, etc. Or spend $3 on a new spigot and use it to transfer from your primary to secondary or keg.

Thanks for the posts. I'll be getting a new spigot so i can use it for something else and probably a carboy to replace it for fermenting.

Turns out the spigot had a huge crack at the base of the threads. I guess that's what you would expect from cheap plastic.

2wrjfjl.jpg

So now all I want to use this for is a primary fermenter, and so I have no need for the spigot anymore. I'd prefer to have a more permanent cap than just a spigot that could get bumped and cracked again. Would some sort of rubber stopper work?

I had two of those spigots and they both cracked at the same point.

I had two of those spigots and they both cracked at the same point.

Do you just keep replacing them as they crack or have you found a more permanent solution?

If I get a 6.5 gal carboy to replace this, is there much I could use a big bucket for?

Back