Possible Starsan in wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

breiwa1

Reaction score
Hi guy's,
I was brewing a batch this weekend and was multi tasking and may have poured starsan directly into my wort. I had the wort boiling on the stove and had a bucket of water next to it on the counter. I was planning on pouring the starsan into the water and sanitizing. Just as I was doing this an important phone call came in.
About 15 minutes later I went to put my tubing into the water and noticed there were no bubbles bringing me to the conclusion that I may have poured the starsan directly into the wort. I remembered measuring out enough for 4 gallons of water and could not remember pouring out.
I know it was a stupid mistake, but I was very distracted. I did not dump the batch and it is fermenting now. I am wondering if it is safe to drink or should I just dump it?

This happened to a guy in my homebrew club. There was a few inches of Starsan in the carboy when he poured the wort in. I tasted the beer a few weeks later. Surprisingly it didn't hurt the beer at all. I don't know about the amount you used, but Starsan breaks down in the wort. If it ferments it should be fine.

I may be wrong, but I think I recall reading other posts where it was said that your yeasties will actually happily gobble up starsan

Was that full strength acid, or a dilution? (of course, even full strength, the beer would dilute it, but you'd be drinking a pH3 beer). I'd try to find some pH test strips and check out the end result. Apple Juice and Orange Juice are in the 3-4 range, so the acidity won't kill you, but it might have some slightly perceptible pucker-effect.

Thanks for the replys. The brew has been fermenting just fine so I think I will let it go and maybe ph test it when I rack it.

I just racked the cream ale/starsan brew from the secondary to the keg. I am drinking a chilled uncarbonated glass of it right now. It definetly has a sour taste when it first hits my tounge. But it is really not all that bad otherwise. Damn, it was my first light flavored summer beer. Oh well I got two more brews fermenting now. ( I am up to 25 gallons for the year!)

Should I continue drinking the rest or am I playing with fire?

Yes, I tried it and it had a bit of a sour taste to it when I first tapped it. But after two weeks in the kegerator, the sour taste is pretty much gone. I did some extensive testing last weekend ;)

Back