It's Time To Play...Name That Hop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eljefe

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
First, I confess and acknowledge that I am an idiot.

Second, I hope you can help me out.

I purchased four rhizomes this past spring. I drew a nice little picture of where I planted them and put it aside for harvest day.

Harvest day comes and my map is nowhere to be found. I now have 3 of the 4 rhizomes with cones ready to be picked and I have no idea what they are.

The 4 rhizomes I purchased (from Freshops) are Cascade, Willamette, Magnum and Zeus. I posted some pictures below of each plant.

Any idea which is which?

Plant 1 (I think this may be Zeus)
Plant 1A.jpgPlant 1B.jpg

Plant 2
Plant 2A.jpg

Plant 3
Plant 3A.jpgPlant 3B.jpg

Plant 4 has not buds. I can provide a picture of the plant if it helps.

Any and all help will be appreciated.

Thanks

My first year zues produced the biggest cones I've ever seen this year. Like, mutant sized big. And they kind of stink....stink like a mix of garlic and swamp. I guess that's what they call pungent. They are definately not number three. I'd guess that's magnum because it doesn't look anything like my zues or cascade or the pics. I've seen of wilamette on the web. Numbers one and two are zues and cascade, and if you pull a cone off of each and rub some of the lupulin between your fingers and smell it should be easy to tell because from my experience they smell way different. I'm with you on number one being zues because mine threw out five-lobed leaves pretty much right away and my cascade still hasn't. BTW, all of my rhizomes are from FH as well. HTH

Back