Siphon vs. Tap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newkie

Reaction score
I've been toying with the idea for some time of putting a tap on my primary fermentor to phase out siphoning all together. I've sure I could even rig a u-bend although it would probably collect a certain amount of trub during the process (but at least limit more being sucked in to the secondary).

I guess my question is do you siphon or did you go for a tap? Pros/cons, ect? Cheers!

I have a spidot on my plastic primary. I love it. I works fine...never a problem.
I usually drain 90% of the beer out...then put something stable underneath the primary to tilt it and get the remaining few percent out....just be careful not to create waves that will disturb the seditment. The hole on mine is about 1.25 -1.5inches from the floor of the bucket....any lower and you will get sediment when you open the spidgot.

It also is great for bottling: just cut a 6- 8" piece of hose, attach with a stainless clamp and you get quick, clean and easy way to fill your bottles.

One more tip....when cleaning and sanitizing, open the spidgot to leave the sanitizer flow through so all is sterilized.

Cheers.

Back