New guy here trying to decide on a starter kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neb_brewer

Reaction score
Hello everybody! I just registered here after snooping around for a while. I have recently decided that I'd like to get into the hobby of brewing my own beer and am very excited about it.

I've spent quite a while compiling a list of a lot of different starter kits offered on the internet (actually I've made an excel document comparing many different ones). One trend that I've observed is that most sites selling kits offer their basic kit that includes 2 buckets, and then their next step up kit substitutes one of the buckets for a glass carboy. Now, when I get into this hobby I fully intend for it to be something that I do for a long period of time. Because I have long term intentions, would it be better to go with one of the many "next step up" kits as opposed to the bottom of the line kits? Or will I be able to brew equal quality beers with the lower end kits that are out there?

I'm trying to avoid buying one of the two bucket kits only to decide that they aren't sufficient any more shortly thereafter.

Please forgive my noobness, I'm still working on familiarizing myself with the terminology and everything else.

For a bit of info about glass and plastic fermenters, check out this thread here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/vs-pro-con-analysis-109318/

As for the kit, I don't consider glass carboys to be a huge upgrade over plastic buckets. If you don't have a LHBS, the cost of shipping is likely going to increase dramatically. Buckets, when used properly, can last a very long time. If you really want them to last forever, you can use Reynolds Turkey Bags (available at nearly any grocery store) to line the bucket, then throw them away after you rack the beer. Personally, I started off with this kit: Midwest Supplies Intermediate Kit and I still use every piece that came with it. The only other things I wish I would have had from the start would be a propane burner, a pot large enough to do full boils (28 qt minimum), a wort chiller, and a jet bottle washer. Other than that, I loved that kit. For $110, you can't miss.

just as a warning i jsut bought my first kit, and unfortunately once i took a closer look, i could have gotten EVERTHING in that kit for cheaper if i had bought it piecemeal, so once you decide on your kit, price it out by the piece. good luck

I don't know how much this will help, but this is what I did. I also planned on homebrewing being a long term thing.

I first brewed 2 batches with my buddies equipment. We built a 5gal MLT with his cooler, and I paid for the ball valve setup. I wanted my own equipment even before this, but didn't have the money at the time. So, I got some more money, and started getting my own equipment. I wanted to do All Grain to begin with, and planned on doing it for a long time, so might as well get the whole setup now. This is what I did.

I ordered a 8gal and 6gal aluminum stock pot for $32 and $27 respectively, together, shipped free (free shipping over $50 orders) at Instawares Restaurant Supply Store, Shop for Restaurant Equipment .

I ordered a good propane burner that wouldn't leave black residue all over my pots (burning rich), so I got a Bayou SP10 from Amazon for $52 shipped free with super saver shipping.

I went to home depot and got a 10gal Cooler for $40 with tax, and used the ball valve setup I already had on my friends cooler.

I went the local homebrew place and got the rest of the equipment I needed, first an Ale Pale, then another (because I was brewing another recipe a week or 2 later), then a bottling bucket and all the other little things.

SO, yea, that's what I did, if it helps at all. I'm glad I did things the way I did. I like my setup.

One trend that I've observed is that most sites selling kits offer their basic kit that includes 2 buckets, and then their next step up kit substitutes one of the buckets for a glass carboy.

The glass carboys (and "better bottles") are nice because you can watch during your fermentation.... The plastic buckets will produce beer with the same quality from what I've read.

When I bought my setup a short time ago, I bought mostly glass because I thought it looked cool. :cool: I did get a couple better bottles though, and if I were to advise someone new to the hobby who planned on staying with it, I would advise using 6 gallon better bottles for your primary fermenters. You kind of get the best of both worlds.

I also think an auto-siphon is incredibly useful!

If you can spare the money, go for a 7 gallon stainless steel brew pot or larger. If not, go enamel or aluminum.

If it's just easier/cheaper to go with a pre-assembled kit, then by all means go for it! You will probably use everything you use in the kit for a long time even if you upgrade.

Welcome :D

Hello again, I see this thread is similar to mine, and my questions may help here too.

The only other things I wish I would have had from the start would be a propane burner, a pot large enough to do full boils (28 qt minimum), a wort chiller, and a jet bottle washer.

Propane Burner - Will I have limitations on my stove? Its a decent gas range. Shoudl I use something else? I wondered about hoisting 5 gallons of boiling liquid up and down that high...

7 Gal Pot - Sounds like full boil is the way to go. I've seen this more than a few times.

Wort Chiller & jet bottle washer - What is this? Why would I need one?

The buckets v. better bottles v. glass carboy debate will never be a settled one. Just look at the pros and cons of each and make up your mind. Personally, I have one bucket, one glass carboy and two better bottles (a third is on the way). I see value in all of them (they all make beer at the end of the day!!!).

I got my starter kit from Austin HBS. I also got a 10 gallon stainless steel pot from them for pretty cheap (the shipping wasn't bad at all since I combined it with the equipment kit). If for no other reason, bigger pots are better IMO for controlling boil overs.

I got a propane burner from Amazon for about ~$50. Works great. I'd love to boil indoors if I could, but my house doesn't have gas, and my electric stove is nowhere near up to the task. (If you have a gas range--do some tests to see how fast you can boil the H2O--also realize that you'll probably want to boil your wort with no lid, which makes it a bit harder).

Wort chillers--I made mine at home with the instructions found on this site in other threads (see the DIY section). It helps to minimize the time the wort is sitting out in the open air after the boil before pitching the yeast, which minimizes the chance of picking up an infection. The jet bottle washer helps a lot when trying to clean out a carboy in a sink. It sprays water upwards into the carboy while you hold the carboy on the nozzle.

An autosiphon should also be part of any beginner kit, IMO. They are fantastic.

For convience I'm planning on just getting a kit that already has most evrything that I'm going to need. I'm definitely leaning more towards one of the kits with the glass or the better bottles. There are a ton to choose from though so I guess I just need to pick one and go with it.

I think most of them recommend getting a 5 gallon brewpot, but should I go with a 7 gallon instead to be on the safe side? Also, when buying ingredient kits is it a good practice to buy a kit from the same place I buy the rest of my stuff, or does it not matter and I can pretty much buy the ingredients wherever I want?

I've had more people recommend a 7gal or so so you can boil a full 5 gal batch all at once. (FULL BOIL)

Vs boiling really only 4 gal or so to leave room for foam and no boiling over.

I found a 7 gal stainless steel one for $45

I recently got the better basic kit from northern brewer

NORTHERN BREWER: Beer Starter Kits

I liked the fact that the carboy was a 6 gallon one whereas everyone else ships out 5 gallons. Any kit you get will have everything you need, and I would be hesitant to get more than I needed to start off in case I found I didn't like the hobby.

One thing I would definitely do is add a bottle of star san to whatever purchase you make. Most kits come with onestep which I'm sure works fine, but as a beginner who is no doubt paranoid about infecting everything, it's best to at least know you have the best sanitizing agent as well =).

Actually the Better Basic Kit from Northern Brewer was the one that I had my eye on. Then I saw that they have their "Brewsaver" shipping that is $8 and that pretty much sold me on getting it from them.

Now I just need to find a 7 gallon pot and get an ingredient kit. I'm thinking about getting the Kolsch kit from Northern as well. Anybody had good experiences with a Kolsch? Or any experiences...

I am a HUGE fan of Annapolis Home Brew. You can order a partial mash from them and they send a 10 page "how to brew this" instructions with it. you could also call them on the phone and ask questions and they are awesome with discussing ingredients and options with you.

Don't get intimidated - toothless people in West Virginia have been doing this for years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure do! That makes it a really good deal. Nice find. I think that'll be my first purchase, making me one step closer to making my own brew.

Latest posts

Back