Sludge Floating on Top & A Funny Smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snisleziggy

Reaction score
I just opened the primary for my German Hefeweizen that I brewed 25 days ago. I immediately noticed a lot of sludge floating on top and a strange smell. I'm used to a little hop sludge and nastiness caking to the sides, but I've never seen this much just floating. It was finished fermenting (1.010) so I went ahead and kegged it. I started getting a little worried about it so I decided to ask for some advice on the situation.

Here are 2 pictures I took.

IwX1oql.jpg

Fix3Vh9.jpg

Looks like Krausen that didn't completely fall out. I've had a couple beers look just like that with no issues. Also it will leave a bit of an odd smell because yeast doesn't smell that good on its own.

Looks like Krausen that didn't completely fall out. I've had a couple beers look just like that with no issues. Also it will leave a bit of an odd smell because yeast doesn't smell that good on its own.

That's reassuring. This is the first time I've used WB-06, so I wasn't sure about the smell of it. I'm a little weary because it did smell slightly sour. I guess I'll know in about a week or so if it's going to be drinkable. Thanks for the input.

Every Hefe i make usually smells pretty funky after i rack it. Its usually all the yeast, the yeast on top looks fine to me.

Back