When do I bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyle6286

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just made my first batch last night using the starter kit from Midwest Supplies. After cooling my wort and adding the yeast, I transfered it to the 6.5 gallon plastic fermenter with an airlock. It's been about 12 hours and I'm seeing some bubbles in the airlock so it looks like it's fermenting. My question is, the kit also came with a 6.5 gallon bottling bucket with a spigot. When do I transfer my beer to the bottling bucket? I do know that when the time comes, I have to siphon it and add the priming sugar. Also, once my beer is transfered to the bottling bucket, do I let it sit for a longer period of time or do I immediately bottle the beer? Thanks for any help.

First off congrats on the first batch,

The rule I follow is when the airlock is bubbling once every 2 minutes or so it's time to transfer. Once you mix in the priming sugar, you should bottle right away. Make sure to minimize the contact with air, so keep the siphon discharge end submerged when going to the bottling bucket and into the bottles. Bottling wands are great for this and relatively cheap. Leave as little air in the bottles as possible too, I made the mistake my first time trying to make too many bottles and it cost me.

Back