Custom wood keg tower

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Sound ambitious? I guess I always get in over my head. I have a Danby kegerator with the typical 2.5" diameter black single head tower. I custom built the kegerator into my basement bar cabinetry and installed my countertop over all of it it. I then drilled through and attached the tower to the countertop, re-insulated, and ran hoses - everything is good. I now want to add at least one more tap (I have been reading threads regarding that). I am bouncing around the idea of getting a reclaimed timber section of wood about 10" x 10" x 20" and coring the center and turning/sculpting a tower cover, if you will. Anybody tried this or would mind talking it though before I attempt? I really like the turned profile and detailing of the ceramic towers that are out on the retail market.

Beer Dispenser Ceramic Towers

Sound ambitious? I guess I always get in over my head. I have a Danby kegerator with the typical 2.5" diameter black single head tower. I custom built the kegerator into my basement bar cabinetry and installed my countertop over all of it it. I then drilled through and attached the tower to the countertop, re-insulated, and ran hoses - everything is good. I now want to add at least one more tap (I have been reading threads regarding that). I am bouncing around the idea of getting a reclaimed timber section of wood about 10" x 10" x 20" and coring the center and turning/sculpting a tower cover, if you will. Anybody tried this or would mind talking it though before I attempt? I really like the turned profile and detailing of the ceramic towers that are out on the retail market.

Beer Dispenser Ceramic Towers

That is an awesome idea! I had never thought of that. I have a 2.5 in tower as well. I added 2 more taps to it. Let me tell ya, that was a challenge.

Never seen anybody do what your talking tho. If you attempt it, be sure to make a Thread on it. :mug:

sounds like it would be awesome.

well, i hope so. i am wondering about the diameter of the center core. I obviously want it to fit tight around the existing tower, but it needs to be wide enough to house maybe three heads with hose barbs. would 3" dia be enough? i see that as typical on some pipe towers.

i talked with a builder friend and scored a 10"x10"x16" timber cut-off of douglas fir at no cost (lucky). not the best for turning and shaping, but it will work. i am going to the beer supply store to pick up two new spouts. let the brainstorming begin...

3" is pretty tight for multiple faucets and shanks, if you could do 4" I think you would be better off, at least for the area where the shanks connect. I'm looking forward to seeing what you build.

Latest posts

Back