Scotch Ale with trappist yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gauthierk

Reaction score
The wort boils in the morning and the kit that I have for my first brew is th Scotch ale with trappist liquid yeast from White labs. The guy at the local supplier recommended that I toss the yeast that came with the kit and use the liquid yeast. My question is, will this change the flavor alot and or speed up or slow down the process? Is there anything I would have to do different going to liquid yeast from dry? At the shop everyone seems very helpful and knowledgeable. I'm doing a full boil of 5 gallons using a 6 gallon carboy for a primary and a 5 gal for a secondary.

A Scotch Ale with trappist yeast seems very weird to me...but what do I know.

I do know however that with liquid yeast you really want to use a starter if you can. I hate to contradict your LHBS guys, but if you're looking for a Scotch Ale, then a trappist yeast just isn't going to do it. On the other hand, if you're going for a trappist ale, then the lme from the kit might just be what you're looking for.

What are you trying to brew? Can you tell us more precisely what ingredients you have...maybe then we'll be able to help a little better.

Do you have the stuff necessary to make a starter (jug or big jar and extra dme)?

I'm going for a canadian style beer like La Maudite from Unibroue. The guy at the shop said that the kit that I have now with the Trappist yeast will get me close. I was told that in order for me to get the exact beer that I want I will eventually have to make my own mash and so fourth but it's baby steps for now. These are the ingredients I have in my kit as followes.

3.5 lbs. Plain Amber Malt Extract
2 lbs Plain Amber Dry Malt Extract
8oz. Crushed Cyrstal Malt 60L
4oz Crushed Chocolate
1 oz Crushed Roasted Barley
1 oz Fuggle Hops (Bittering)
1/2 oz. Fuggle Hops (Finishing)
1 each Grain Steeping bag
5 oz Priming Sugar
60 each Crown Caps
1 each Beer Yeast

Starting Gravity1.045- 1.050
Final Gravity 1.010- 1.012
Alchohol by volume 4%-5%
Hop IBU's 15-18

This is the kit that I purchased from the shop. I'm pretty shure it's trappist but come to think about it it might be Abbey Ale. I"ll have to go home and double check the type of yeast I'm using.

I'm just making a general statement here so no flames please (we all know there are a million variables):

As far as ingredients go, the yeast is going to (most) determine the flavor of your brew. If you use a Trappist yeast you'll end up with Trappist tasting beer.

Use the appropriate yeast for the brew style. You'll like yourself better for it.:D

It sounds like your LHBS guys have you on the right track. Make a starter if you can, but don't sweat it to much if you're not ready for that...just make sure you pitch in the mid 70s to minimize lag time, then once fermentation starts move your fermenter to somewhere where it will maintain the proper temp for the yeast you're using.

Cheers, and welcome to the forum. :)

El Pistolero said:
A Scotch Ale with trappist yeast seems very weird to me...but what do I know.

One of the best beers I've ever made is a Scotch Ale with starter from White Labs, Edinburgh liquid yeast. Outstanding!

Prost! said:
One of the best beers I've ever made is a Scotch Ale with starter from White Labs, Edinburgh liquid yeast. Outstanding!
From what I understand, the Edinburgh yeast is primarily for making Scottish ales. Now, depending on what trappist yeast was recommended, it might be close, but the trappist yeasts are generally going to be more estery methinks.

Prost! said:
Yes, but Edinburgh is a Scotch Ale yeast, not a trappist.

No offense, but do ever actually read a post before replying to it?

El Pistolero said:
Yes, but Edinburgh is a Scotch Ale yeast, not a trappist.

No offense, but do ever actually read a post before replying to it?
:off:

That’s a little snippy. Yes, I do read the posts. In fact, you just reiterated the point of my reply. Edinburgh yeast is for Scotch Ale, that’s what he’s trying to brew. I think it’s helpful information for the next time. It seems that nobody recommended Edinburgh for Scotch Ale, including his HBS. Have I contradicted your advice or somehow offended you? Why the sarcasm?

Prost! said:
:off:

That’s a little snippy. Yes, I do read the posts. In fact, you just reiterated the point of my reply. Edinburgh yeast is for Scotch Ale, that’s what he’s trying to brew. I think it’s helpful information for the next time. It seems that nobody recommended Edinburgh for Scotch Ale, including his HBS. Have I contradicted your advice or somehow offended you? Why the sarcasm?
The sarcasm was because he wasn't trying to brew a scotch ale...if you had actually read more than one post you would have known that. And yes, I am being a little snippy with you...IMHO most of your posts have absolutely nothing to do with topic of the thread you're posting in, and I'm finding it a little irritating.

I'm going for a canadian style beer like La Maudite from Unibroue. The guy at the shop said that the kit that I have now with the Trappist yeast will get me close.

Maudite is definetly a "different" brew. Considering where it's brewed and the origination of Trappist type yeast I would say go for it. If worse comes to worse it's a learning experiance.

FWIW you may want to try and gank some of the yeast they use from Maudite it's self. I went to Unibroue's web site and found this . . .

Unibroue.com said:
At this step, Unibroue stands out clearly from the other brewers that use cold filtration to eliminate all solid components of the beer and to render it completely clear. Unibroue keeps part of the beer’s solid components, which it considers essential to taste improvement and development. Using a highly sophisticated centrifuge, Unibroue effects a partial filtration without cooling its beer, permitting through this delicate operation all of the beer’s proteins and some of its yeasts to be maintained. It is therefore not by accident that Unibroue’s beers are opaque, but by choice for the purpose of manufacturing and developing true specialty beers. After clarification, the beer is again inoculated with fermentable sugar and moist yeast from propagators, either in view of a second fermentation in the vessel in the case of a triple-fermentation beer or to begin the refermentation process just before bottling. Instead of injecting carbon dioxide into the beer as most conventional brewers do, Unibroue prefers natural carbonation inside the bottle, which produces a more complex flavour and a thicker foam typical of full-bodied beers.
The only concern I would have from ganking their yeast though is the addition of "moist yeast" and if that added yeast is the same as the main fermentation yeast.

A final option that MAY help is to actually contact the brewery and ask them which yeast they use. If they ignore you or tell ya to pound sand it only cost you the 5 minutes it took to e-mail them. If they respond and do tell ya which yeast then you are golden and can concentrate more on which grains you need to come up with something you like or clone Maudite

I think the liquid is the way to go for the brews you are targeting. It won't be a Scotch ale, but it will be good, big, fruity, malty. Lots of time those base recipes are really close and the yeast makes the difference. Think of Steam Beer and American Pale ale, or Vienna Lager and Amber Ale. Just keep some notes. Maybe split the batch and see what happens and which you prefer.

El Pistolero said:
The sarcasm was because he wasn't trying to brew a scotch ale...if you had actually read more than one post you would have known that. And yes, I am being a little snippy with you...IMHO most of your posts have absolutely nothing to do with topic of the thread you're posting in, and I'm finding it a little irritating.

Guess what? Don't care if you're irritated, that's not my intent here. Message boards are for exchange of information and ideas. It's not a dictatorship. If you are the absolute expert on brewing and all things in the universe, write a book or start your own perfect society where everyone has your “opinion” and the rest of us can roger off—how’s that for sarcasm? Just arrange for my membership fee to be refunded and I'll go to another message board where I don't have to read disrespectful, whining, cyber-criticism for having a differing opinion. Until then you can stay irritated. I prefer to try to get along with other people. You’re out of line.

I would be greatful if the personal, side conversations would be taken it up via personal e-mail so the rest of us can simply discuss the matter at hand. I have enough conflict in my life with out having it rise up in my recreation. Thank you for respecting the rest of us.

Prost! said:
Guess what? Don't care if you're irritated...
Ok, if this is my 17 year old son on here setting me up for Apr 1st...good try man, but why did you show your hand so soon? :confused:

If this is my 7 year old daughter trying the same...get back on them 2 column subtractions. :mad:

If this is my 4 year old daughter...way to go girl! Your computer skills are coming along nicely. :)

If this is SWMBO...busted.

If this is a real person...Cruz buddy, good seeing you man. :D

El Pistolero said:
Ok, if this is my 17 year old son on here setting me up for Apr 1st...good try man, but why did you show your hand so soon? :confused:

If this is my 7 year old daughter trying the same...get back on them 2 column subtractions. :mad:

If this is my 4 year old daughter...way to go girl! Your computer skills are coming along nicely. :)

If this is SWMBO...busted.

If this is a real person...Cruz buddy, good seeing you man. :D

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!! HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!! Great one!!!!

OK. I see both your points...now, let's shake hands and let by-gones be...

Ok, the wheat is doing it's 20 min at 165 as we speak. I'm fixing to do the big dead. Everyone wish me luck.. hehehe Pretty soon I'll be able to have my Pri Sec Bottled and drinking tag lines...

homebrewer_99 said:
Hello??? Can I get a translater, please???:confused:

Sure...

gauthierk said:
Ok, the wheat is doing it's 20 min at 165 as we speak.
I'm steeping my grain(s) right now.

gauthierk said:
I'm fixing to do the big dead.
I'm getting ready to make some beer.

gauthierk said:
hehehe Pretty soon I'll be able to have my Pri Sec Bottled and drinking tag lines...
Soon, I'll have a cool signature that shows what I have in the Primary, Secondary, Bottles, and what I am drinking.

-walker

Imperial Walker said:
Sure...I'm steeping my grain(s) right now. I'm getting ready to make some beer. Soon, I'll have a cool signature that shows what I have in the Primary, Secondary, Bottles, and what I am drinking. -walker
Thanks for the translation....and I thought ebonics was tough...:drunk:

Nah, I'm not an ebonics speaker but I use to live in New Orleans so it's like a second language. I just type the way my mind thinks and I always end up using words for metaphores.

Ok, 48 hour after my first attempt at brewing and I have big bubbles every 6 seconds. I'm using a double chamber air lock so I know it doesn't bubble as easy. I noticed that at the bottom of the carboy, I have about 1/2 inch of stuff. I took extra care not to catch trub when moving it to the primary but I might have picked up some. Is this normal or did I pick up something I wasn't suppose too?

gauthierk said:
I noticed that at the bottom of the carboy, I have about 1/2 inch of stuff. I took extra care not to catch trub when moving it to the primary but I might have picked up some. Is this normal or did I pick up something I wasn't suppose too?
That's normal...just spent yeast and other junk falling out. RDWHAHB. :)

That's quite impressive I guess. The little bit of yeast that went into the mix has generated all of that stuff. Every little thing that I notice gives me the question of "Is this suppose to happen or not?" Glad to have everyone here to tell me not to panic its a normal happening or a "Run like hell you have opened a portal to hell"... hehehehe thanks for the advice.

gauthierk said:
Glad to have everyone here to tell me not to panic its a normal happening or a "Run like hell you have opened a portal to hell"...
We're all glad to help out with your beer, but should you open a portal to hell we're all gonna just sit back and laugh. ;)

Back