Making keg to keg jumper

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrunkleJon

Objects in mirror are closer than they appear
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I bought some kegs of commercial beer this past weekend for a party. We used my kegging setup (regulator, hoses, etc) to dispense in a tub of ice and due to the sky crying over the 160 lb we were cooking there is unfortunately some leftover beer remains. I am wanting to transfer it to cornys so the beer isn't wasted (I am not thrilled to have BL/Dos Equis Amber on tap in my house, but what can you do?). I do not have any beer line to make a jumper with, but do have a leftover section of tubing that is attached to my racking cane. I have the hardware to add quick disconnects to the racking hose currently. I know it is not really a pressure bearing, or even rated line but was wondering if it would survive the process.

What do you all think? Should I give it a go or get off my lazy butt and stop by the HBS on my way home from work tonight.

In a pinch you can always dispense directly into a corny and then just crank up the CO2. A couple of pulls on the release valve and you'll have displaced most of the O2. I've done it a couple of times and the beer was still fresh weeks/months later. Call it the "I'm to lazy to the go to my LHBS and spend $$$$" approach.

Good luck!
P

In a pinch you can always dispense directly into a corny and then just crank up the CO2. A couple of pulls on the release valve and you'll have displaced most of the O2. I've done it a couple of times and the beer was still fresh weeks/months later. Call it the "I'm to lazy to the go to my LHBS and spend $$$$" approach.

Good luck!
P

Well, in this case it is only a section of hose so it would only be $ rather than $$$$. a couple bucks... I do need ingredients for my next few batches. And some barbs or gas lines for the new dual pressure regulator that is arriving in the mail today.

I still wonder how well it will work. Guess no one tried it.

I take it you'll remove the tubing from the racking cane? The tubing can take some pressure, albeit may be low. It should work if you turn your CO2 pressure way down (1-2psi), just so there's enough pressure in the tank to move the beer to the corny. Also, you will want to make sure the corny is not sealed, which will build pressure in the line. Good luck!

That was my plan. Well, that and throwing a beer out QD on that side to purge pressure. I think I am going to get some proper line for it today.

Believe me, they would finish off my homebrew before the commercial offerings. I may have to arrange for a couple games of beer pong or something similarly irresponsible.

If you have a couple of picnic taps, my preferred method is to just connect the two taps with a short length of 3/8? tubing simply slipped onto the taps. With both taps open, keep serving pressure in the full keg, and reduce / vent pressure in the receiving keg and the beer will flow from one keg to the other.

Back