3F Beers to Go - details pls?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grrickar

Reaction score
So I live in Western Central OH, and aside from a trip to New Haven, IN to the Trion Tavern (awesome place with a large selection of 3F products, but a bit pricy) I have been completely unable to find 3F products in the stores.

I know even in IN they have trouble keeping them on the shelf. Asking around I hear things like 'we get a case of this or that and it is gone the same day'. Since most places I can find it at are 1-2 hours away, and since none of them can (or will) hold anything for me I risk a long drive to come up empty handed....so

I have a motorcycle, and I have luggage for it. It is 4.5 hours (if I go the speed limit, which may or may not happen) to go from my front door to 3F brewery in Munster. I find this to be a more reliable way to buy some of their products, since they will be sold there in greater quantities than the 'yeah, we got a couple of sixxers but get here fast or it may not be here' responses I get from the IN beer/liquor stores.

So my question - if I go on a Saturday, I know they open at noon. If I get there around 11:30 can I park close to the brewery? While my bike is several years old, I do need it to get back home (with my beers), so parking blocks away to come back to an empty parking spot is a concern.

Also, if I get there and I am just getting the beers to go - are there already line of people waiting to do the same? I am hoping to get there, be one of the first in line, get my two cases and get the hell out, since this will be an all-day adventure for me. Packing two cases into my luggage won't be the easiest thing. I did a dry run at home and they will fit - BARELY.

I'm hoping to get a case and a half of Gumballhead and a couple sixxers of Zombie Dust. That should last me awhile.

3F = Drei Fonteinen.

FFF = Three Floyds.

Never been to FFF so I have nothing else to add, haha.

^ this. though last time i was there they had zombie dust coming off the bottling line and it wasn't mentioned on their site. I'll be there again tuesday night. the food is great and with metal playing its hard for me to leave.

So I live in Western Central OH, and aside from a trip to New Haven, IN to the Trion Tavern (awesome place with a large selection of 3F products, but a bit pricy) I have been completely unable to find 3F products in the stores.

I know even in IN they have trouble keeping them on the shelf. Asking around I hear things like 'we get a case of this or that and it is gone the same day'. Since most places I can find it at are 1-2 hours away, and since none of them can (or will) hold anything for me I risk a long drive to come up empty handed....so

I have a motorcycle, and I have luggage for it. It is 4.5 hours (if I go the speed limit, which may or may not happen) to go from my front door to 3F brewery in Munster. I find this to be a more reliable way to buy some of their products, since they will be sold there in greater quantities than the 'yeah, we got a couple of sixxers but get here fast or it may not be here' responses I get from the IN beer/liquor stores.

So my question - if I go on a Saturday, I know they open at noon. If I get there around 11:30 can I park close to the brewery? While my bike is several years old, I do need it to get back home (with my beers), so parking blocks away to come back to an empty parking spot is a concern.

Also, if I get there and I am just getting the beers to go - are there already line of people waiting to do the same? I am hoping to get there, be one of the first in line, get my two cases and get the hell out, since this will be an all-day adventure for me. Packing two cases into my luggage won't be the easiest thing. I did a dry run at home and they will fit - BARELY.

I'm hoping to get a case and a half of Gumballhead and a couple sixxers of Zombie Dust. That should last me awhile.

Zombie dust is a toss up. I came from Cleveland last august (and I'm going again mid-may). We went at about 3pm on a saturday and got a hotel nearby. he only place we found Zombie dust was at Nicks liquor by our hotel and i got the last 6 pack. Then we headed to 3F, and we found parking right by the door. We waited about 45 minutes in line for the kiosk. Then about 1-2 hours to get a seat to eat (they normally have zombie dust on tap) but in Cleveland I am fortunate to see it on tap quite a bit, and a local place always has gumball head on tap. It was well worth the wait and we all had a great time exploring the area. Gumballhead is normally available at the kiosk to buy but zombie dust not so much. But a couple hundred dollars later I went home with this.

20140830_172702.jpg

This past Saturday they had Gumballhead on the list, but by Sunday it was gone. I have only had it on draft once, and that was in a tavern in IN 1.5 hours from here. They did not have Zombie Dust, but they did have Alpha King. I was more impressed with Backmasking and Robert the Bruce honestly.

I figure the ZD will be for me to try, and even if I don't like it I have something sought after that I can trade for Pliny or Heady.

We called a place that had a case of ZD but would not save a sixxer, and I did not want to ride the drive/ride over to come home empty handed.

Supposedly FFF is ramping up production and stocking the local stores with beers because they cannot do the case sales during DLD, which is the 25th of this month. That may be my best chance to find some.

I might add that they now limit the number of ounces you can buy to 2 cases or the equivalent. From what I have read, you can't buy two cases and expect to get a few bombers too.

Try Robert the Bruce and Backmasking if you get the chance. Both solid brews. If you are coming from Ohio, stop in New Haven just outside Fort Wayne at the Trion Tavern and try a few. They had about 12 FFF products on tap when I was there a few weeks ago. Be prepared to hand over your wallet - their drafts aren't exactly cheap...

People were getting 6 cases at the FFF kiosk, and bringing 3 friends, each getting another 6 and it was getting out of hand. I think there was a lot of reselling going on, and they grew tired of it.

A few people ruined it for everyone...

I just wish they would stock the damn stores in IN. I am ok with driving an hour, but 4? Jeez...

I have 5 gallons of Gumballhead clone in my fermentation chamber because I can't find the stuff anywhere locally. If I can't find it, I will clone it. :mad:

Saturday FFF is a zoo and they are especially rude. Go on a Tuesday. Tuesday is bottling day so that is the freshest beer of the week. Usually they only have 2-3 of their beers in sixers and 2-3 in bombers available to go. I think the max you are allowed to buy is two cases and 4 bombers. If you are going that far, definitely get the maximum. The guy that usually works the to go counter on Tuesdays is pretty cool, if you chat him up he'll throw you a few free stickers.

I cannot emphasize enough how important it is to avoid Three Floyd's on a Saturday. Seriously, don't do it. As for parking, there is a hotel about a mile from there that might have parking, but that's as close as you're gonna get. Also, check out their website before you go to see what is available at the carry out counter. AND DON'T GO ON SATURDAY!!!!

When I go (I'm in Chicago, about an hour away), it's usually on a Saturday morning. Usually get there around 11:30am. The line for the pub is usually already about 1-2 hours wait. A lot of people put their name on the waiting list and then go wait in line for the kiosk. The line for the kiosk has never lasted longer than 30 minutes for me. HOWEVER, if Zombie Dust is for sale in the Kiosk, the line will be drastically longer. Typically, they bottle ZD once a week, and it's not always on the same day.

Definitely check their website and Facebook page to find out what they will have available to-go. Also, if they have some special BA beer, the line will probably be longer.

I would try to get there at 11 just to be safe.

As for parking.. the lot right in front has always been full every time I go. That doesn't mean you won't luck out and find a spot. You can usually find a spot along Indianapolis Blvd within about a block of the front door.

And they lied....kinda. I just finished eating and they started bringing out zombie dust by the case.

Hey OP, do you still want some? I drive back tomorrow and could look and see how long the trip would be if I go 30-33 rather than 65-70

And they lied....kinda. I just finished eating and they started bringing out zombie dust by the case.

Hey OP, do you still want some? I drive back tomorrow and could look and see how long the trip would be if I go 30-33 rather than 65-70

Absolutely! Let me know where to meet and I can bring you cash

Saturday FFF is a zoo and they are especially rude. Go on a Tuesday. Tuesday is bottling day so that is the freshest beer of the week. Usually they only have 2-3 of their beers in sixers and 2-3 in bombers available to go. I think the max you are allowed to buy is two cases and 4 bombers. If you are going that far, definitely get the maximum. The guy that usually works the to go counter on Tuesdays is pretty cool, if you chat him up he'll throw you a few free stickers.

I cannot emphasize enough how important it is to avoid Three Floyd's on a Saturday. Seriously, don't do it. As for parking, there is a hotel about a mile from there that might have parking, but that's as close as you're gonna get. Also, check out their website before you go to see what is available at the carry out counter. AND DON'T GO ON SATURDAY!!!!

Ok, thanks for the warning. Looks like I need to take off work the next nice weather Tuesday we have.

Let me take a look at google maps and I'll pm you. If tomorrow doesn't work out I have site to visit in the Celina area next week. Give me like 20 mins.

I'll be going there on the way to a wedding in Chicago next month, but it'll be on a Friday. Is Friday (early in the day) as bad as Saturday?

I've never been on a Friday but I would assume early Friday would be much better than early Saturday. Saturday's are even crazier because that's the day they offer tours.. if they're even offering tours that week

I've never been on a Friday but I would assume early Friday would be much better than early Saturday. Saturday's are even crazier because that's the day they offer tours.. if they're even offering tours that week

That's kind of what I was hoping. First thing when they open...most people will still be at work, maybe a short line. I can deal with that.

if you find yourself in the chicagoland area and are in search of zombie dust or any other 3f beer for that matter, you can go here:
http://www.windycitydistribution.com/Beer-Hunter/

i'd still call ahead though. this is just a list of where it was recently delivered so it doesn't mean it's still in stock.

tuesdays are packaging/delivery day in the area, usually late afternoon. :mug:

Thanks to Dolomieu I had my first taste of Zombie Dust last night. The funny thing is the first sniff smelled a bit like cat piss LOL

I really liked it, which I wasn't expecting. I figured if I picked some up and did not like them there always seem to be persons wanting to trade beers.

I tried many of their other products and wasn't necessarily impressed. I liked Gumballhead, and Robert the Bruce, along with Backmasking.

I wasn't particularly impressed with Alpha King or Dreadnaught...

Latest posts

Back