Bigfoot clone with champagne yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rush

Reaction score
I ordered the Bigfoot clone from Austin Homebrew and it came with a packet of champagne yeast. The instructions call for it to be pitched into the secondary fermenter after racking. I've never brewed a beer this big, and I've also never used champagne yeast. The beer is supposed to have a SG of 1.097. I'll be using a starter like I always do. My question is this ...is the champagne yeast really needed? What is it used for in this case? I'm just worried it'll attenuate too much and end up drier than I expect.

I ordered the Bigfoot clone from Austin Homebrew and it came with a packet of champagne yeast. The instructions call for it to be pitched into the secondary fermenter after racking. I've never brewed a beer this big, and I've also never used champagne yeast. The beer is supposed to have a SG of 1.097. I'll be using a starter like I always do. My question is this ...is the champagne yeast really needed? What is it used for in this case? I'm just worried it'll attenuate too much and end up drier than I expect.

HMMM..that seems odd, I did a clone of bigfoot and repitched ale yeast and to turned out fantastic...Bigfoot IMO is not that dry and this yeast will bring the FG down too far..

J

HMMM..that seems odd, I did a clone of bigfoot and repitched ale yeast and to turned out fantastic...Bigfoot IMO is not that dry and this yeast will bring the FG down too far..

J

Before I got the kit and saw the second pack of yeast, I didn't even know I had to *repitch*. I was just going to pitch the BW on top of the yeast cake from a previous batch. Will that not be enough? I've never repitched before so this is all new to me. All of my previous beers have been 1.070 or lower so I'm new to "big beers".

I pitched a Barleywine (1.096) on a Nottingham cake from an IPA. Finished at 1.012 IIRC. Pitching on a cake should work fine. Save the Champagne yeast for uh... Champagne.

Back