Good source for bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbg96

Reaction score
Hey all -

This is my first post, and also my first attempt at homebrew. So far so good and the stuff (IPA) is in the carboy fizzing away. Now I need bottles. I'm interested in the idea of reusable PET bottles, although a good source of glass will do.

Short of scrounging up empties, do you wise heads have suggestions for good/best online sources for bottles and caps?

Much appreciated -

You can buy them from just about any online shop. I prefer to recycle my empties by washing and taking labels off. My one little thing I do to try and be "Green"

Bottles online will be cheap on the purchase end, but you'll get taken with the shipping.

If you don't want to recycle empties, your LHBS should have cases of bottles for sale.

Usually a LHBS will sell 24 bottles for like $12-15, so about 60 cents a piece. Just find somewhere with cheap decent beer, and justify your purchase twofold. I picked up a 12 pk of Franziskaner for $12 today. If you think about what I'd pay just for those bottles, I only paid $5 for the beer :D

Go down to your local bar, order a few beers that you know have the pop tops and ask them what they plan to do with them. They'll probably say "Throw them out" and you say "I'll take 'em!"

Otherwise, look for places online that have flat rate shipping, like Austin Homebrew. Some places claim they have flat rate but the flat rate doesn't apply to bottles. Shop around if you insist on buying new. I don't know where to get PET bottles, though you could just recycle soda bottles, be careful though, since they're clear, to keep them out of the sun.

Work, stella, becks, and carslberg. Plus anyone that has dark or green bottles that come over for a few or i go over for i take. EX: Hoegarden etc

I've found that the 10cent deposit in Michigan makes it a little more difficult. I just go to party stores and ask if I can look around and buy them for 10cents each. Clean them good!!

Here's a place to find freecycle groups in your area if anyone interested:
The Freecycle Network
It's an interesting concept for other stuff too. You're not allowed to ask for cash or trade. People who have stuff they don't want post it and people can look through and claim it. Anything from old bottles to appliances and furniture. I've seen fridges and freezers on the ones around here from time to time as well, in decent condition.

I buy the 4 packs of grolch swing tops. You would pay the amount you spend just on the bottles and you get some beer too... plus they are swing tops

Back